Johnny

Whenever someone asks me what's the thing I regret the most in my life, I always say it's that moment I decided to take that plane to New York.

I clearly remember that day, him begging that I stay, the pain in his eyes, everything. There he was, standing in that pool of people, men and women and children kissing their goodbyes to loved ones flying away. But not him, he would never let go of me anyway. But I would, and so painfully I did. Even if I know I'm all he's left of now. Or ever.

His mother died when she was giving birth to him. She had a very delicate condition. Her heart was very weak. She was always told that pregnancy would only worsen her condition. But when she had him, She was very happy. She couldn't wait to see the little tyke's face. To cup his tiny hands inside hers. to  hold his ticklish baby feet. 

That moment, everything was perfect, until it definitely wasn't. One monday evening she felt incredible pain emanating from her abdomen radiating to her back, her breath was heavy, her heart pumping endlessly like a machine gun. and every beat felt like a million tiny needles forcing their way out of her heart. But she was happy. She was hopeful. She hoped for nothing else in the world other than see her child born beautifully to the earth. She prayed for the Heavens to give her strength to aid in her labor. She begged for  mercy so that the little kid would be born with no complication and will live to an old age, be healthy, have his own family. He asked the doctor to promise her that whatever happens, the child must survive.

David, (my stepfather) could never tell us enough how much he wished the doctor had saved his wife, and not the child. I want to punch him square in his jaw, but I never did since hurting Davidd would not make Esca feel any better of his situation. And another reason is hitting him would be like hitting Esca too, they look so much alike it's scary.

I was 12 and he was 9 when we first kissed. He blushed so hard I could've sworn he'd burst the color of cherries. I kissed his cheek and I never knew why, All I knew is he was my little brother and I love him so much. I promised I'd protect him from anything.