Anyone else but you

A/N: I've noticed there's quite a lot of typos in these last chapters. Think it's due to the fact I've been switching between two computers, and open office and word. It's probably also due to the fact that  I'm really bad at proof reading when I'm 'done' with a chapter. Then I just want to post it before I lose my courage/confidence. I'll fix it soon!

Dedicated to Emma7208 for following and voting. Always appreciated! 

______________________________________________

The fleeting weight of a blanket thrown over me. I stretched out my hand. Felt different textures kept apart by seams and frayed edges. Cushions. It appeared I was lying on a couch. No one beside me. Good. My pants still buttoned, so I hadn't hooked up with anyone that'd left afterwards. Even better. I finally dared cracking open a dry eye. A coffee table with a glass of water on it. One of my mom's ornate tea glasses. In my own living room. Phew. Great. Amazing. I peeled off the blanket and sat up. My head immediately started pounding. But not to the point of throwing up. And I hadn't during the night either, from the look of it. All in all, pretty good.

I could hear my mom and Tim's voices in the kitchen. The less amazing part of having slept on my own living room couch was that I didn't remember how I got home. Or when. Or even much of the night before. Maybe mom had called and I hadn't picked up. Or even worse I had. Well. Better just get it over and done with. I rubbed my cheek, sure it was imprinted with lines from the quilt stitching. Got up on wobbly legs.

"Good morning sunshine," my mom greeted, sitting by the table surrounded by stacks of newspapers as usual as I entered the kitchen. Dressing gown, a messy braid, a smile on her lips. She didn't seem angry.  

"Mornin'," I mumbled, my throat raspy. Ignore Tim's hearty 'good morning' echoing in from the seat beside my mom. I opened the fridge, searched for the soy milk. "Sorry if I woke you up coming home...or if you called and I didn't answer..." 

"Don't worry. I went to get some tea at 11.30 maybe, and there you were, sleeping like a little pig on the couch." She smiled. "Figured it was best to leave you there. How did you get home?"  

My mind blank. No words to form an answer to her question. I hated that. Not remembering anything. For all I knew I could've crawled on my hands and feet home. Or teleported myself. "Uhm," I started. Suddenly a flash back to the night. Soft music playing. A seat belt cutting into my neck. Warm hands urging me up the driveway, the air cold on my face. Keys jingling. Laughing with someone. Someone with the bluest eyes ever. I might even have told him that.

"I think Allen drove me home." I mumbled. 

My mom nodded approvingly. "I like this new friend of yours better and better."  

"Yes, he seemed very nice," Tim oddly chimed in. I just glared at him for daring talking to me. About my friends. Or anything. I grabbed a packet of oatmeal crackers from a cupboard and a glass with milk. Yeah, I tried to play happy families with Mom and Tim and Julie sometimes, but right now? Nottodaythankyou.

I escaped into my room, sat down on my desk chair. Chewed numbly on the dry crackers. But I needed to eat something. My head felt like I'd been in an accident. Crashed into something in a high speed. All my gray matter smashed against my forehead. All my thoughts evaporated, hanging like a cloud in front of my eyes. Ugh. Just the thought of having a squishy brain inside my head. Gross. I lay down on my bed, curled up. Still in the same clothes as the night before. Couldn't bother to change. I retrieved my phone from my jean pocket. Didn't even bother holding it to my ear, just carefully placed it on my head. Trish picked up almost immediately.

"Hello sunshine," she chirped. Was this the universe idea of a joke or something? 

"Good morning my fresh sweet pea princess of dewy morning breath," I replied sarcastically.