The Nightmare has Begun

The nightmare has begun.

Your footfalls clatter upon the ground, as loud as the thunder rolling in the distance. Rain pours down; streaking your face with tears from above, and your glistening hair slaps your pale face as you whip your head back to take a glance behind you. Your hair is as black as night against the white frame of your cheeks. Again you glance back, he's still there. The dark and looming shadow that lumbers slowly toward you. You run faster, and faster, but no matter how fast you run and your heart beats, he continues to come closer and closer. Your heart is pounding, pounding, pounding against your ribcage, begging you to end its suffering and let it out. You run and run, and suddenly you are at a dead end. You scream in frustration and pummel the brick walls encasing you on 3-sides as if they will move, or break and let you free. You feel like a bird in a cage, with cat watching. You are just being toyed with until your life is to end. The feeling encases you like a swathing cocoon, and you feel your mind start to shut down against the fear and fatigue that has washed over you. You back into a musty corner, and spin around to face your opponent with your final stand. Suddenly, he¢s standing in inches from your face. You don't scream for you have no more breath to waste, but make a feeble attempt to escape his clutches. Your lips part to utter your final scream but he catches your open jaw with a hand as cold as ice and twice as strong, and catches you full on the lips. His lips are cold and demanding, his taste toxically sweet, and you give into him as the passion between the two of you grows stronger and stronger. His fingers move from your jaw to your hair, where they entwine themselves in your golden blonde hair. Your hold him closer, and closer until you are chest to chest. You feel his lips move from your soft lips to your ear. He whispers in a voice as soft and sweet as an angel into your ear, ²It¢s too late for you now, my darling.² But his words fall upon deaf ears for you are still wrapped up in his arms. You lean closer into him and put your head to his stony chest. His smell enfolds you, for it is exotically sweet but has a spicy tinge, sort of like a foreign incense or a bowl of popery. He is opening and hugs you tighter and tighter, so you can scarcely breathe, but oddly the movement breaks his spell on you, for as you listen closer you realize that his chest is empty. He is a monster, a beautiful and strange one, however these characteristics just add to his powerful allure. You are suddenly aware of your own ragged breathing, and of how chilly his touch is. Again you try to break free with a desperate yell, only to gain be blocked by his deadly embrace. ²Not this time my lovely.² He tells you, all traces of the passion shown only moments before wiped away. He grabs your trembling chin and yanks your head up in a violent movement that makes you gasp in surprise. He lowers his head to your newly exposed neck. You relax at the familiar feeling of his lips on your skin but this time it is far more dangerous than just a kiss. You gasp again as his razor fangs break through your tender and perfect skin. You are let into his mind, and he projects a fantasy to distract you as he gets his meal from your flowing veins. But you manage to see past this screen between the fantasy you are seeing and the real fantasies of his mind. You see past this to the dark and twisted part of his mind, the part where love could never live, the part that wants to kill you the most. You tense at the chilling thoughts that flow from the dark abyss of his mind flow over into your pretend fantasy. His grip on you tightens and you realize just how powerless you are in his grip of steel, you are merely pray in his world, you are just another mouse to him as he is the cat, playing and toying with his food before eating. Suddenly he releases you, but gently, and you are snapped back into the cold, harsh reality of your situation, freed from his torturous mind. You are too weak to stand on your own, but he catches and supports you with oddly loving arms. ²Good night my love...² he says as he tenderly lowers you to the hard ground. His fingers untwine from your hair, but slowly, as if not to damage a single silky strand on your head. His lips brush across your face and his minty fresh breath tinged with the scent of your blood sweep across your face for one last time, and he¢s gone. Your last thought is of his scarlet eyes, before unconsciousness blissfully releases you of the fearful and panicked chains tightly encasing you. The next morning you wake up, relieved it was all a dream, merely one of your own fantasies from your own brain. Your yawn and stretch and get out of bed to pull the curtains open. The smell of fresh coffee wafts up to your room from downstairs and sleepy-eyed you pad into your private bathroom to wash your face. Eyes still half-closed, your turn on the faucet and splash your face with icy cold water to wake yourself up. Grabbing the hand towel next to your sink, your pat your face dry and gaze up into the mirror for the first time this morning. The towel drops to the floor as your gaze back at your reflection. You can't move and your hand trembles as your examine the twin cuts on your neck.

The nightmare will never end.