Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Sarah couldn't stop her eyes from closing. Glancing at her watch, she was surprised to see it was almost 2am.

"Hay! Sana matapos na itong gabing ito.."

6 hours going na kasi na walang tigil ang pasok ng mga pasyente sa ospital and as a medical intern on duty, it was Sarah's job to make sure that all private patients on her shift are taken cared for. She was mentally listing the patients that need extra attention.

Si Mr. Lopez, may IV to follow na ba? May dugo na bang available kay nanay Paz?

Sarah was tired. For several months now, she has been asking herself, tama pa ba itong ginagawa ko? O gusto ko lang i-please si daddy? It's not that she's not happy. She is. Especially pag alam niyang napapa-smile niya beneath their pain ang mga patients but she has always wanted something else. However, her love for her family, particularly her father who is a well known heart surgeon, led her to this path.

Biglang nag-ring ang blackberry ni Sarah. She looked at the screen and saw that it was Rina, yung co-intern niya na duty sa ER.

" Sars? Punta ka dito sa ER please, we need your help, may code 88 tayo!"

And just like that, Sarah came out of her revelry.

Code 88 meant may nag-aagaw buhay sa ER and all concerned medical residents or consultants on duty need to proceed to where the code is to make sure that one person is saved.

Dali-daling tumakbo pababa si Sarah from the 3rd floor and quickly ran down the hall to the ER when she reached the ground floor. She opened the swinging door and proceeded to the right side of the room where most of the medical personnel were concentrated. It was chaos.

Nurses running around carrying IV fluids. Si Kuya Joel, rolling in the oxygen tank and preparing the mask. Ate Ines from the laboratory, with her ECG machine ready.

Someone was shouting, "He's losing blood!" while another was saying "Get me ABGs stat!".

May nag uusi din na ibang personnel na nakapaligid at narinig ni Sarah na nagsabi.....

"Si Budoy yan ah! Napano sya? Buhay pa ba?"

Budoy? It didn't dawn on Sarah what that meant until Rina saw her and pulled her towards the patient.

Everything was fast as she took her place as part of the Emergency Response Team for their duty.

Everything was fast until a sea of people seemed to part and then she saw who the patient was.

And then time stood still....