Quality

In my last installment I seem to have praised cliches a bit too much, I was just being diplomatic. I’m going to be a bit more harsh now. Sure, a large percentage of the Wattpad audience loves cliches, but do you know how many cliches are out there for you to be ‘chosen’ from? There’s a lot left to luck. Not even talent or skill. Someone maybe less talented and skillful than you, but they’re just lucky. And only one person out of hundreds of cliche story writers get lucky.

Whether you like cliche stories or not if you ever want to feel true satisfaction and get comments that are really worth it, you have to write something original. Get out of your comfort zone. My comfort zone is first person, but right now I’m messing around with Third Person and though I suck at it right now, it really overcomes a lot of difficulties one encounters through First Person. And it’s also trained me to express emotions through the actions of my characters rather than just stating it. Creative Writing Classes? Pfft. The key to success is getting out of your comfort zone. I’m writing a Thriller and a Mystery and I am completely out of my comfort zone but I cannot explain how much fun I’ve been having.

So, try to abandon cliche elements. It’s not hard. Just sit back, and think of something original. It can have roots here and there. Something completely random like inspired by a manga or anime or a story your Grandfather told you. You have originality all around you. Ask your friend how their parents met. My friend’s parents met when her Dad was helping her get her luggage onto a train. And then he had to court her and all that. It’s adorable, really. My other friend’s parents were in the same band. There, you’ve got two adorable stories right there.

That’s Romance. Now my Grandfather told me a ghost story about some village he visited when he was young. Inspiration for another story. You just have to look around you hard enough. And you also have to be constantly conscious, looking for potential story ideas. J.K. Rowling wasn’t sitting and biting a pencil when she came up with Harry Potter. CS Lewis didn’t just sit down one day and decide to make Narnia. And you’re not going to think of an incredible story after finishing this chapter, I’m sorry.

But I’m serious, originality is much easier than using a cliche element. With the cliche element you’re always going to have to deal with comments that rant and abuse your story. I’m sorry but how much ever you try to originalize it, some of it will always be quite evident.

Also, do NOT try too hard to please your audience. Yes, you must take your reader’s opinion into account, but not their preferences. If you get a few comments about how funny you are, don’t try and be too funny. Don’t write a funny rape scene. I’m sorry but that’s worse than writing a funny funeral scene. First of all, it’s offensive. Even to those who haven’t been raped or had a close encounter. And also, might as well throw it in, if you’re going to write a story starting with a death, a suicide, a rape scene or even a birth, an achievement... You better do a good job with the emotions.

You cannot expect to be recognised and praised immediately. You have to wait for year even. But once again, don’t be sucked in by materialistic things like a number and its color. I know it’s easier said than done. It’s like when your Mum tells you to just ignore the mean kids at school because they’re not worth it, it’s not easy. But trust me, patience isn’t one of the Seven heavenly Virtues for no reason. Focus on your writing, focus on improving and I’m sure you’ll be satisfied in the end. Notice, I said ‘satisfied’ not ‘popular’.

Also, the quality of your writing depends on your grammar and punctuation. It does not matter if English isn’t your first language, in the 21st century, there are websites around here that explain everything very clearly. Contact me if you would like examples of such websites, I don’t use them... But I can find them for you.

Most people make mistakes with punctuation marks and seem to think they’re correct. I suggest you Google that too, to make sure if you’re correct. Because I’m tired of being corrected.

Also, spacing is very important. 

This, is correct spacing.

THAT, is annoying. 

So make sure you don't use bold too much or WRITE IN CAPITALS. Try and be professional. Also refrain from using '???' Multiple punctuation marks is not only unprofessional, it's wrong. Even '?!' is wrong, but it's hard not to use, I know

But...

"What?!" he said.

Can be

"What?" he growled, shaking me by my shoulders, completely shocked.

Aaah, that's it for now.

If there's anything you'd like me to add, shoot away.

This is a short update but I have a tummy ache. So I’m going to curl into a ball and die now. I hope this helped you.