Chapter Thirty

SAGE.

He left me.

He wrote me a note, and then left me.

I was walking numb through the hospital, my legs carrying me forwards. There was no way I could do this. Go in there and face everyone, I wondered if they knew.

Tony would have known, he’d have to.

Anger was now charging through my body.

Storming into the room, Tony and Cassie whipped their heads up. Both sitting in the chair and reading papers, I narrowed my eyes on my brother in law and glared.

“Did you know?” I spat.

He frowned, standing up and taking a hesitant step towards me. “Know what?” he asked quietly.

He knew I didn’t take shit from anyone, that I hadn’t been this angry since Daniel broke me after cheating. I wanted to bare my teeth and charge at him, but I wasn’t that crazy. I threw my hands up and instead of screaming, my anger was overcome with the start of loud sobs as I tried to get the words out.

“God Tony, did you know he went back to her, that he left me?” I asked, finally letting the emotion I had been putting off take me over.

Both Cassie and his eyes widened. Tony leapt forwards before my body gave way and fell, his arms holding me up he shook his head. “No Sage. I didn’t, god what the fuck did he go back to her for?”

I clung to his chest and let my head fall as my sobbing became erratic bursts of heartbreaking cries. I couldn’t tell him the answer to that, especially since I had no idea myself.

Oliver told me the reason, but I didn’t believe it. Not for one second, not after we’d made love like that. If I had known that was just a goodbye lovemaking session, then I wouldn’t have fallen asleep. I would have tied him to the bed and kept him there beside me. Forever, that’s where he belonged.

When I managed to stand on my own, I grabbed a handful of tissues and wiped my eyes and loudly blew my nose. Cassie was rubbing my thigh, waiting for me to fill them in on the details. I reached in my pocket and pulled out the piece of paper. The piece of paper I had found before coming here.

Sage, don’t hate me. I love you but this is what’s best. You need to be safe and this is the only way I can keep you and our daughter safe. Don’t come try bring me home and don’t call. I need you to stay away from me. If Meadow wakes, I’ll support her, but that’s all I can do for now. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be. I need to be with my wife, it’s where I belong, and it’ll never end otherwise. Don’t forget what I told you, I love you and I always will.. Oliver.

I handed it over to Tony and my sister, they both stood reading it and Cassie was the first to speak. “I don’t understand, he just up and left you?”

I nodded. “He went to see her last night.”

Tony’s voice hardened. “I’m sorry what? What the fuck is he doing, how the hell is he protecting you? Did she threaten him?” he asked, tossing the note back to me and running his hands through his hair. “I don’t fucking understand what made him do this.”

“He said he needs to protect you, but why? Amy must be behind this, Sage. You should go over there, or Tony. You go and see him,” Cass said, sitting back down in the seat beside me.

“Oh yeah, the last time I went there she almost broke my fucking jaw. I think I will stay here and keep out of her swings,” he sighed. “I don’t understand. If he needed help then he knew he could come back to us and ask.”