67. Adventures in Ooty & Kodai - Apr 1987

Arriving Whitefield & Ooty

April 15, 1987

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Peoples,

Rama’s day was on April 6th. Swami surprised all, and slipped from our grasp on April 8th. He left Prasanthi Nilayam without telling anyone, without turning on the lights, and while we were inside the Mandir singing the Suprabhatam at 5 AM. We were trapped inside! He went to Whitefield.

The office hadn’t called me again and I didn’t go down that way so they couldn’t take me off the streets of the ashram. :-)

I was feeling attached to the ashram and as my room was paid for a few more days, I decided to stay until the rent expired.

So, happily stayed in the peace and quiet. It seemed as if Swami’s presence was stronger than ever, only the “maya” had gone (the illusion of form). I continue to do seva, sadhana, etc.

Before I left, Swami’s sister gave me prasad and said, “Don’t worry, you’ll be back again.” I was thinking it may be my last time in Prasanthi Nilayam, before I leave the country.

In Brindavan, the Guest House was already full (I came on the 11th), so I had to get a room outside. I couldn’t help laughing how I wished for and how He gave a room inside Prasanthi Nilayam ashram, and now how I was outside in Brindavan - must’ve been my fate to be outside sometime.

Anyway, it was OK. So many foreigners arrived! Then Swami left on April 14th to Ooty. Many, many taxis and even two devotee buses followed. I came by public bus, for $5 (10-hour journey). We got a nice hotel room, not cheap but not too expensive, at $2 a night. Very clean and more important, very good vibrations. I traveled with an old-time devotee (she’s a little older than me) from London (Indian, decent). We’re sharing the room.

Meanwhile, the devotees got in a dormitory for $1.10 a night. But loud, confusion, not really good vibrations. So, all is fine and I'm writing this letter at the first Ooty Darshan.

It’s cool here and relatively peaceful. I am happy and fine. Keep well all of you. May all the world have peace & happiness.

Om Sai Ram,

Love,

Eileen

___________________

Adventures in Ooty & Kodai

April 20, 1987

Kodai Kanal

Devotees,

Well, I wrote you from Ooty but my schedule was such that I was not near the post office when it was open. What to do.

Swami gave Darshan morning and evening. We stayed in Ooty only three days – then we all went to Kodai.

In the morning in Ooty, Swami came around for Darshan. “Big” crowd (1/3 of Prasanthi Nilayam crowd) and completely undisciplined (except the foreigners and some permanent Indians). Indian villagers desperate to capture Swami (touch His feet), no matter how far off He walks. What to do. How are they to know the rules?

After Darshan, some of us camped there for the day, reserving places for evening Darshan and hoping for more Darshan. All three days Swami went out in the car – once along with the bus load of Parthi boys (whom He brought), probably for a picnic. Two days, in the middle of the day, when hardly anyone was there, we saw Swami peek through His window at us!

So, we came at 6 AM (starting at 5:30 AM to walk up the hill), and they let the line (one long line) in at 8 AM. Swami came around 9:30 AM (long wait in the sun!). He was especially loving and compassionate this year, granting close Darshan and coming close to many of the ladies, even though they were undisciplined.