Rolling Dice

So this is only a SAMPLE of the first fifteen (unedited) chapters of the book. It WAS completed on Wattpad, but as I am now a published author (The Kissing Booth is available as an ebook, and paperback) with Random House, they've decided to publish Rolling Dice as my second book.

It will be out in the UK as both paperback and ebook in September this year (2013) - and it will follow in the USA probably around the same time!

First off, I'd like to say a massive thank you to all of you for the support on The Kissing Booth (which won Most Popular Teen Fiction in the 2011 Watty Awards) and now exams are finally over so I can give you all another story!

I hope you all like this book. It's less romance and more Young Adult genre, and I'll post a second chapter in a couple of days. Please let me know what you all think, though!

:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

“Uh, a latte, please,” I say, not even looking up at the waiter. I don’t know why I ordered a latte. I don’t even like coffee. I’m an iced or herbal tea kind of girl.

                But sitting here in this smart café with its posh name – Langlois – made me feel so… I don’t know, cosmopolitan? Upper class? Cool? Either way.

                “Coming right up.”

                I hear the waiter walk off, and focus all my attention back onto the cell phone in my hands. It’s some swanky new model – it has a slide-out keypad, 3G internet, unlimited texts, stores tons of music… It sounds like a good phone. It looks like a good phone. The woman in the store said it was a good phone.

                Shame I have no idea how to work it.

                The manual is on the table beside me, but the spine is stiff, the book unwilling to stay open at the page telling me how to set up the internet.

                I mean, it’s not like I know what I’m doing. Not only am I kind of useless when it comes to technology – unless it involves downloading and converting music files – I’ve never had a cell phone before. I’ve never really needed one. It’s not like I got out much back in Pineford.

                I don’t think of it as ‘back home’.

                Why should I? It’s not like I miss it.

                We’ve been here in Florida for ten days and counting so far. And I love it already. It isn’t just a chance for me to turn over a new leaf – it’s a chance for me to have a whole new life.

                A throat clears, distracting me just as I think I’ve worked this internet thingy out.

                I realize why the guy doesn’t just put the steaming white mug on the saucer down at my table; my purse, the empty cell phone box, wires, and the tiny manual are covering every space inch.

                “Oh, sorry!” I apologize automatically. I sweep my bag off the table and bundle the wires haphazardly into the box to clear space.

                He sets the latte down and for the first time I really looked at him.

                He isn’t anything special. You wouldn’t look at him and think ‘Ohmigod!’ because he’s so hot. But he is, I have to admit, kind of cute.