Chapter 21 - You Send Me

The sunlight streaming through Jess's bedroom windows woke her.  Squeezing her eyes shut tight, she rolled over, pulling the blankets over her head to escape the sun.  She didn't want to see the sun shining.  It should be gloomy outside, just like it was inside her.  She felt a heavy sadness pressing on her, knowing the man who was supposed to be raising her, didn't even want her in his home. 

But she wasn't entirely alone.  Jess remembered Annie unpacking her suitcase the day she'd arrived, saying how glad she was Jess was there.  Annie loved her, she was certain of it.  Even Doug, a typical annoying boy, had stepped into the big brother role.  He'd protected her a few times, even making sure she wouldn't have to dance with someone who might step on her feet the night before.  Having both of them helped make up for how cold and cruel her uncle had been.

And then there was Marty.  If there was one person who made her happy she was living there, it was him.  He'd saved her from being desperately lonely over the summer, but she knew he needed her just as much.  If she hadn't come to live with her uncle, he'd still have no friends.  She pulled the covers off her head, finally ready to get up.  It was Sunday and that meant she'd get to spend the day with Marty.

Once she'd dressed, she came down the back stairs.  Annie was frying bacon and humming along with the country song that was playing on the radio, but as soon as she saw Jess, she smiled and exclaimed cheerfully,  "Good morning!"

"Good morning, Annie," Jess replied going to give her a hug.  It was good to see Annie was in such a good mood after the rough night she'd had dealing with Uncle Jonathon.

"Did you get a good night's sleep?" Annie asked while smoothing Jess's hair.

"Yes," she lied.  "And – how was your night?" she asked hesitantly.  Had her uncle been even more difficult when they'd been in his room?

"I slept very well," Annie said with a smile, still smoothing her hair.

"That's good," Jess said with relief.

"Have a seat.  Breakfast is almost ready."

Jess sat at her place and drank orange juice while Annie continued humming while she fried eggs.  When she set them in front of Jess, she asked, "What do you have planned for this beautiful day?"

"I'm going to –."

"Stop that racket!" her Uncle's voice boomed out, making both of them jump.  He was leaning against the doorway to the butler's pantry with his hand over his eyes.

"I'm sorry," Annie said, rushing to turn off the radio. 

"I need aspirin!" he snapped, lowering his hand and glaring at her through squinty, bloodshot eyes. 

"Yes, Sir," she said, immediately going to her bedroom.  As he watched her leave the room, his eyes fell on Jess and she slumped in her chair, knowing what was coming.

"What are you doing here?" he shouted as she picked up her plate and cutlery.  "How many times do I have to tell you we eat in the dining room?"

"Yes, sir," she said, avoiding his eyes while she stood. 

As she approached him, she saw his hands ball into fists, and her heart began racing.  Was he going to hit her?  She didn't want to get any closer to him, but he was standing in the doorway of the butler's pantry.  She was going to have to walk past him to get to the dining room.  If she didn't, he'd get even more angry at her.  With her body tense, she squeezed past him, but to her relief, he only glared down at her. Once she was safely on the other side of the swinging door, she let out a deep breath.

"Please don't be angry with Jess," she heard Annie plead, her voice muffled from the door.  "It's not her fault.  I – thought you'd be sleeping late this morning."