[11] Good Life

Dedicated to mizz-larsen for the amazing cover on the side. My first fan-made cover! *Squeals* --->

--

Say oh, got this feeling,

That you can't fight,

Like this city is on fire tonight.

This could really be a good life,

A good, good life.

~Good Life- OneRepublic

      The morning started with a bang. Literally. I woke up to the sight of Kallie holding a camera while glaring at Brett, who was half-sprawled on the floor, looking like he had just tripped. I was guessing that was the bang that had waked me up. Laughing at his scowl, I tried to sit up. That was when I realized it was unusually warm in the bed and there were arms wrapped around me. I looked over to my right and saw Kaden lying beside me, still asleep. Holy shiitake mushrooms! What the Watson happened last night?

      Then, in a rush, it came back to me. The thunderstorm, the promise, the party, everything. Before I had time to examine the memory, Clark and Annabelle stepped through the door, obviously wonder what the crash was from.

      Brett quickly stood up and pointed at Clark. "You owe me twenty bucks!" He exclaimed, nodding his head to the bed where I was still struggling to sit up. For a moment, I was confused about what he meant, but then I figured it out.

      "You guys were betting on us? About what?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes at the two. Clark scratched his head and looked at me awkwardly.

      "Brett bet that you and Kaden would've screwed before we left Vegas," Clark informed me, only he didn't say 'screwed'. I half-screamed, and glared at Brett.

      "What. Is. Your. Problem? That's disgusting!" I tried to sit up again, and this time I succeeded, but I guess my scream and movement woke Kaden up, because a couple moments later, he opened his eyes and looked around confused.

      Brett ignored Kaden and waved his hands at us. "It happened, did it not?" It wasn't until he said this that I noticed how Kaden and I's positions could be viewed. Stupid of me, I know, but I had never really been in one of these situations, nor did I really expect anyone to think that, especially of me and Kaden. Then again, it was Brett, and usually, more times than not, his mind was in the gutter.

      I jumped off from the bed and stormed toward him. "Seriously? You'd suspect that? I have a freaking purity ring, Brett!" I exclaimed yanking out the ring I wore on a simple chain from under my shirt.

Brett held up his hands in the universal sign of 'I surrender' and sighed, "I know, I know, I've known       you for a while now."

      "Then why'd you make the bet?" I almost yelled at him in frustration.

      He shrugged, almost nonchalantly. "Honestly? I figured you'd be drunk. I also want to win a bet against Clark, he always wins." After glaring at him until my eyes almost started burning, I looked around the room. Kallie had left, and Annabelle and Clark were still standing in the doorway, wearing matching serious, but slightly amused expressions. Kaden had yet to get up from the bed and was examining me with an unreadable expression.

      I scowled at Brett once more before turning and heading to the bathroom. The last thing I heard before I closed the door was Clark laughing and telling Brett that he had surely lost now.

      Inside the bathroom, I stared at myself in the mirror, absentmindedly twirling the silver ring around my finger. It had been my last gift from Avril before she disappeared. Avril had been a cousin of mine, the one cousin that I was actually close to. She was a bit more than a year olderthan me, but she was fine with hanging around someone younger than her. One day, she had come to my house at midnight, tears leaking down her cheeks. With few words, she handed me the purity ring and left. The next day, she was gone.