Cupcakes And Motorcycles

Jacen’s POV

My nightmares were once a one man show, starring Michael. It was his ghost that haunted my subconscious, his face that flickered behind my eyelids. When I woke up, my skin damp with sweat, my breath ragged with residual panic, it was his name that left my lips. Michael. Always Michael. Only Michael.

Now my nightmares were an elaborate performance, complete with a full cast and intricate sets. The top billed players were Eleanor, Victor, and Nikki - the main backdrop a snowy forest at night. The play was three acts; titled The Accident, The Cabin, and The Gun.

Each night I watched the play over and over again, in excruciating detail. I watched myself fall from my motorcycle and tumble into death-cold waters. I watched as Eleanor touched me in the cabin. I watched as she aimed her gun at Nikki, and I watched as the bullet hit me instead.

These days, when I woke, it was anybody’s guess whose name I’d gasp. Victor, the man who had tightened his hands around my throat and threatened to choke the life out of me, the man who had beat and raped one of my closest friends. Or Eleanor, the psychopath who had dragged me into her hellish fantasy, the psychopath who had died from loving me. Or Nikki, the one who had killed her. I didn’t even dream of Michael anymore.

This time, the play was cut short. I was barely through the second act when I was awoken, by pressure stabbing into my body, and something moist against my face. My eyes snapped open, expecting another nightmare - Eleanor touching me, blood dripping down my face - and saw Rajah instead, her tongue lolling happily from her tongue.

“Happy Birthday!” voices chorused as my spine snapped into a sitting position, causing me to come face to face with Rajah. I was panting more heavily than she was as my eyes darted frantically about.

Nikki and Odette stood beside my bed, offering giant smiles. Odette was dressed in her usual manner; a pencil skirt and blouse, but the blouse was a bright blue, and the bun in her hair not so severe. Nikki wore her uniform, minus the visor. In her hands was a chocolate cupcake, with a lit candle sticking out of it.

“What?” I stammered, working on slowing my breathing to normal levels. I didn’t want to freak either of them. It had been nearly five months since the incident. I was supposed to be better by now. “What’s happening?”

“Part one of your birthday, ridiculous boy,” Nikki teased, holding the cupcake out in offering. Rajah was still nuzzling at my face, and I stroked her head lovingly. “Now go on, blow out your candle and make a wish.”

I leaned forward and blew out the candle. I wished for the nightmares to stop. Not for the first time. “What?” I asked, rubbing at my eyes tiredly. “No presents?”

“My presents waiting for you downstairs,” Odette explained, “You’ll get it after you get dressed and eat your breakfast.” With that she placed a manicured hand on the back of my head and pulled me close enough to press a kiss to my forehead, and then she left, heels clicking as she headed downstairs.

“You’ll get my gift later,” Nikki told me as I pushed Rajah off my lap so I could properly get to my feet. I resisted the urge to groan at the ache in my shoulder. I had only just taken the sling off a few weeks ago. I was still in physical therapy, and had gained almost full control of my arm again, but it still pained me sometime.

“I hope you didn’t spend too much money,” I said to her. “And I mean that sincerely, since I’m kinda hoping your present involves a Catholic school girl skirt and a blowjob.”

She laughed, grabbing me by the front of my shirt and pulling me in for a kiss. I smiled contently against her lips. “You’re too much,” she murmured as she pulled back.