Undone: [Fourteen]

<Summarized explanation about exams, and the need to prioritize. Apology alongside. Another explanation as to how exams aren't really over, but because of other things, I just wanted to write, so to still be patient with me>

Max

“People!” Our heads snapped up simultaneously to look at her, which startled her somewhat. “Erm, hi?”

Not giving me time to respond in any way, she gestured towards her brother to scoot then took a seat beside me.

“Maya, hey,” I smiled. It had surprised me that she’d chosen to sit where she had, but pleasantly so. Fact was, ever since she’d found out that…I’d never date her, basically, things had become somewhat awkward between the two of us. I mean, sure, we’d still been friends, with her promising that nothing would change, and we talked, too, but she’d been hurt. And after the accident I just hadn’t wanted to talk to anyone, so I’d distanced myself from her, as part of everyone.

It wasn’t that she hadn’t tried, or anything, but it had been upsetting at first; I knew. And later, when I kept shutting her out.

I didn’t blame her for quitting on me.

She looked at me and frowned.

For a split second, my face fell- maybe she didn’t see me here- but then she spoke. “You look horrible.”

She hadn’t said it with malice, or in a way intended to hurt my feelings – it had been more of a question yet as soon as the words were out of her mouth, I was immediately aware of everybody’s eyes on me, save for maybe Lani. I wouldn’t know for sure, nor did I dare look towards Nick because I’d spent the better part of the morning avoiding him more than anything else. He’d been there and he’d seen Leo, and I knew he had questions…but I didn’t know what I’d say.

It was somewhat stupid, really, if you thought about it, because the most he’d ask was if it bothered me- and even if I said it did-I probably wouldn’t lie because he’d pick up on it anyway- that was that. Nobody could help that they looked freakishly alike, nor could they argue with my reason to want to avoid him, period.

Yet.

I guess I just didn’t want to talk about it-not be reminded. Which again is rather hypocritical of me because even though I’d slept relatively well, the knowledge that I wouldn’t be receiving any more messages affording me that comfort, I’d dreamt of him. Leo. He’d shown up, all friendly and confused and somewhere down the line we’d become friends.

That’s what happened in the dream, anyway.

And then…

“So, there’s like, something I wanted to tell you.” The boys had fallen silent, each silently staring at the blank TV screen in awe, even though the movie was over. Leo had shifted on the sofa, alerting his newfound friend that he wanted to speak, and upon his silent encouragement, he’d done so.

“Yeah?”

He bit his lip. “I don’t know, just…”

“What is it?”

“It’s just-nothing. I mean, something, but not really a big deal.”

“Talk to me.”

“You ever have a,” he paused, searching for the right word, “secret? That you couldn’t really tell but was killing you to keep it?”

Max nodded slowly.

“There’s something like that that’s bothering me. Something I want to get out…”

“Tell me.”