OBL st6 Woman in white

Start from the beginning

'You don't suspect me of doing anything wrong, do you?' 'No, no, seeing you so suddenly gave me a shock, that's all.' I heard you coming,' she said, 'and hid behind those trees to see what sort of man you were, before I risked speaking. May I trust you?' Her eyes searched my face, anxiously. 

Her loneliness and helplessness were so obvious that I felt great sympathy for her. 'Tell me how I can help you,' I said, 'and if I can, I will.' 

'Oh, thank you, thank you. You are very kind.' Her voice trembled a little as she spoke. I don't know London at all. Can I get a cab or a carriage at this time of night? Could you show me where to get one, and will you promise not to interfere with me? I have a friend in London who will be glad to receive me. I want nothing else - will you promise?' 

She looked nervously up and down the road, then back at me. How could I refuse? Her fear and confusion were painful to see. 

'Will you promise?' she repeated. 

'Yes.' 

We set off together towards the centre of London. It was like a dream - walking along that familiar road, with so strange and so mysterious a companion at my side. 

'Do you know any men of the rank of Baronet in London?" she asked suddenly. 

There was a note of suspicion in the strange question, and when I said I knew no Baronets, she seemed relieved. I questioned her further, and she murmured that she had been cruelly used by a Baronet she would not name. She told me she came from Hampshire and asked if I lived in London. I explained that I did, but that I was leaving for Cumberland the next day. 

'Cumberland!' she repeated softly. 'Ah! I wish I was going there too. I was once happy in Cumberland, in Limmeridge village. I'd like to see Limmeridge House again.' 

Limmeridge House! I stopped, amazed. 

'What's wrong?' she asked anxiously. 'Did you hear anybody calling after us?' 

No, no. It's just that I heard the name of Limmeridge House very recently. Do you know somebody there?' 

I did once,' she said. 'But Mrs. Fairlie is dead; and her husband is dead; and their little girl may be married and gone away. ..' 

Perhaps she would have told me more, but just at that moment we saw a cab. I stopped it, and she quickly got in. 

'Please,' I said, 'let me see you safely to your friend's house.' 

'No, no, she cried. 'I'm quite safe, and you must let me go. Remember your promise! But thank you - off thank you. 

She caught my hand in hers, kissed it, and pushed it away. The cab disappeared into the black shadows on the road - and the woman in white had gone. 

Ten minutes later I was still on the same road, thinking uneasily about the whole adventure, when I heard wheels behind me. An open carriage with two men in it passed me, and then stopped when they saw a policeman walking further down the street. 

Officer! cried one of the men. 'Have you seen a woman pass this wav? A woman in white clothes? 

No sir. Why? What has she done?' 

Done! She has escaped from my asylum.' 

An asylum! But the woman had not seemed mad to me. Nervous and a little strange perhaps but not mad. What had I done? Had I helped a woman wrongly imprisoned to escape? Or had I failed to protect a sick person who might come to harm? These disturbing thoughts kept me awake all night after I had got back to my rooms, until at last it was time to leave London and set out for Cumberland.