Deja Vu - A Mark0 Short

Sorry if this is confusing or weird, i wrote this rather quickly.

Have you ever had a really bad day? So has my nameless character...

Now with out further adieu...

Deja Vu...

Hey! That rhymed.

Deja Vu

“My stories don't have happy endings...”

My legs hit the ground hard, kicking up small splashes of rain water.

“The sun doesn't always rise after the darkness...”

I didn't know where I was running, or really why I was running. My body was acting on its own accord, running through the small mob of early morning risers.

“There's never a pot of gold at the end of my rainbow...”

I shoved through the crowd, blocking out the sound of the protests behind me.

“And happy ever afters...?”

My legs burnt, but I didn't care. I couldn't stop, even if I wanted to.

“...Not in my vocabulary...”

“Where ya headed?” A voice called out to me. A simple voice. One I've heard a thousand times before and now only haunts my nightmares. I slide to a stop, kicking up a small puddle of muddy water at a couple of passerby. I paid their protests no heed as I stood, listening.

“Recognize me yet?” A voice called out before a figure walked towards me, walking smoothly amidst the crowd around her.

My jaw dropped.

“Sam?” I said quickly. A figure smiled at me, her golden blond hair dancing in the wind as she walked towards me. Her eyes, light blue against the slowly rising sun, pierced my own. Her grin was refreshing, like the rise of a sun after a long dark night.

“Good, so you remember me. I didn't overshoot. What day is it? It feels like a monday; everyone has a sense of dread in their eyes.” She said with her grin increasing. I returned it, finally regaining some composure.

“But, how?” I could only managed to stutter. She grinned again as I felt my own smile increase. She was the only one that could surprise me. The only one that could make my jaw drop.

“Remember this?” She said, holding up a small leather strap around her arm. I looked closer to see a small watch face with several dials and buttons surrounding it. I smiled as I recognized the small device.

“The black hole redirector...” I said softly.

“Fourth edition. This is it's maiden voyage. And perhaps the last unless we can find a suitable power source,” She said, more of to herself rather than to me. I knew that she would never find that power source. She would spend the rest of her life searching, but to no avail. “Thought I'd jump here to take it for a quick spin around the block.”

“So, what year is this? This must be...what ten years ago?” I said quickly, thinking back. She raised an eyebrow quickly before giving me a playful look.

“No, this must be ten years later. Today is the present, just in my reality. You’re ahead. We're on the right track.” She said with a grin that mirrored mine. The watch beeped once before she looked down quickly. Her grin quickly faded.

“Power source failing...We've got minutes...if not seconds,” She said grimly. She then looked up at me, studying my face.

“You're still doing your hair like that? After all this time? Have I ever told you you look like a runner up-”

“-In a beauty pageant against a mop...yes. Several times.” I said with a wide grin. She returned the smile, one that made my heart skip a beat. It quickly fell as she looked closer in my eyes.

“What happened to you? You look different...Something...I can't quite put my finger on it but, what happened?” She asked, her expression falling again as she studied the features of my face. I couldn't blame her; ten years ago I was an entirely different person.

Everything changed when she passed. The entire world seemed to grow significantly darker that day. My life ended as of then. Nothing seemed the same. The world seemed to even spin slower. I couldn't even fathom it, my downward spiral began there. I couldn't believe she was gone, I couldn't grip that fact.

Now that she's here, my mind is a total blank. Part of me didn't even believe what I was seeing. I couldn't even speak, I could only grin like an idiot at the love of my life standing in front of me after all this time.

“A lot has changed...It's been a while since we...last spoke...” I said, softly. I knew time was of the essence. The Redirector didn't have enough power to keep her here for very long. In a matter of seconds, she would jump back. Samantha raised an eyebrow in confusion for a moment before it slowly slid back into place as she realized what I meant. Her face fell quickly as her eyes looked in to mine. A feeling I had long forgotten quickly arose.

“Well, don't ruin any surprises,” She said with a grin behind broken eyes. I could see her realization coming in all to clear. She knew what was about to happen. I only returned the smile, one we both knew was fake.

“How long has it been?” She asked softly.

“Too long...” I replied, voice broken. “I've spent every hour of every day trying to bring you back.”

“Forget me. You've spent all this time trying to bring one person back? Live your life. Forget about me!” She protested. The watch beeped again, a louder shrill tone than before.

“You are my life,” I said softly. Her eyes grew hazy as water filled them, having nothing to do with the steadily increasing rain around us. I only looked into her eyes, afraid that if I blinked it would all go away.

“I love you Samantha...” I said softly, knowing we only had seconds. She stepped forward as I held her, two lovers locked together in a tight embrace against the cold harshness of the world around us.

“I love y-...” She started before I made the mistake of blinking. A bright light illuminated the world around us, causing several passerby's to jump back in confusion. I didn't move as the world around me erupted with the crash of lightning.

The light disappeared to reveal me standing alone, amidst the rain, once again.