Chapter 4

Hermes POV

A collar, an invisible leash, and winged sandals that were all bound to him. What did all those things have in common? Insanity! That’s what I thought about him right now. He had to be incredibly insane. I had to admit that he thought this through quite well. I wasn't expecting it to be such a detailed and planned out punishment. When all this is over I plan on having a talk with Hephaestus, he can't just go around making things to trap me. That's not how things work.

What's worse is that Than was actually going through with this. He even dared me to try to leave, saying that he'd bring me back no matter what. That moment was just the best. We were standing chest to chest; when he spoke I could feel the power of each word vibrate against my own chest. I wanted to just melt into his arms. He promised that if I tried to escape there would be a punishment waiting for me; I know it was supposed to be a threat but all I could think about were chains, whips, and a whole lot of yumminess.

We were now sitting in Than's room discussing what my job will be. For an arrogant jerk he's pretty sweet. We've been sitting here for a while on his couch watching his TV. Well he's watching the TV and I'm watching him. How can I not? I mean the object of my desire for years upon years is sitting so close to me that our legs are practically touching, there is no way you expect me to actually watch whatever is on the TV. I quickly turned to face the TV when he began to talk to me.

"So you'll pretty much be my assistant; you'll continue to guide certain souls down to Hades and I, but when you're not doing that you are to be close by in case I need you. We'll mostly be staying at my home so there's no need for you to have to stay down in the Underworld all day. You will do what I say, when I say to do it. I don't want any arguing from you otherwise this whole arrangement will become real hard on you."

I turned to face him and saw that he was looking at me with a serious expression. I still couldn't believe that he was completely serious about this whole thing. I mean yeah I took a soul but wasn't this a little too much? I rolled my eyes and turned back to face the TV.

"Is there a problem with all this?"

"Yes there's a problem with this whole thing." I said calmly while avoiding the glare I know he was giving me. I kept my eyes focused on the TV and waited for him to say something.

"What exactly is the problem?" I turned on the couch so that my feet were now criss crossed underneath me. I sat facing him and he had a quizzical look on his face as if he really didn't understand what was wrong with this whole thing.

"You're basically treating me like a dog. I can't go anywhere without your permission and I have to stay close to you at all times otherwise you’ll yank me back from wherever I'm at with a magical leash. Does that sound normal to you?"

He sat there staring at me for a while, thinking over what I just said before he even said anything. I doubt that he would have anything to say because I'm right. It was crazy the way this man was trying to treat me. Under different circumstances I would love to be Than's little slave but this whole set up was ridiculous. He turned his body so that he was facing me more and began to speak.

"You know when I first got Cerberus he was untrained and was a horrible guard dog. There were demi-gods, gods, and heroes just walking in and out of the Underworld. I went to Hephaestus and got a special collar made especially for him so that he couldn't stray far from the entrance. I rewarded him when he did good and punished him when he was bad."