Chapter 2 - One Hell Of A Guy

As usual and as always, Hudson High's gym was crowded. Why? For the very reason that our school's pride, The Vikings, were only one step away from making it to the finals.

The inter-school competition is on and you can imagine the loud cheers of excitement and loads of sweats of nervousness not just from the players, but as well as the audience.

I, on the other hand, was categorized in the uneasy viewers. I was gritting my teeth in anxiety as I watch the intensity of the game.

I was always like this, since freshman year. Since I learnt that Daniel was part of the basketball team.

Yes, guilty as charged, everything leads to him. Liking basketball was because of him. Watching it in a crowded gymnasium with ear-splitting noise was because of him. Screaming at the top of my laughs cheering for his team was because of him. Standing in bleachers and praying for their team to win was because of him.

That is how much I like Daniel Ryder.

And when I like someone, I like him so darn much. Just more, no less. Only one and with all of my heart.

"Breathe, Nicole. Breathe." Ali called out my attention with her signature teasing. And April's laugh was her contribution to this.

It was always like this. Whenever they see me looking at Daniel, they will make fun of me. It's like this was part of their activities of daily living.

"You always find my life entertaining, huh." I said, hinting a bit of annoyance in my tone.

"Yup. Better than the Kardashians. You should have your own series, Nicole. It will be a sure hit!" April remarks with enthusiasm in her tone.

"Do a web series entitled The Unrequited Love Of Nicole Spencer! For sure there will be a lot of people who could relate to your situation." Ari humored.

"That is so not Unrequited Love! It just happened that he has a girlfriend, that's all." I defended. "Besides, I know that somehow he likes me too." I added.

Yeah, I refuse to entertain the fact that it was a one-way type of feelings. Maybe, somewhere along the way, Daniel liked me. He said it himself, he likes my lively attitude. He likes my upbeat personality. He likes my trite jokes. Although he didn't say anything about liking me as me, still, he said he likes something part of me and who I am.

That gave me hope.

"He likes you as a friend, Nicole, because that's what you're portraying. The friendly gal of everyone. If I were you, I will step up the game and step out of that zone."

"I totally agree with Ari on this. You're always like that. Friendly to the guys, so most of them thinks that you only want friendship instead of relationship. You're the queen of friendzone." April supported Ari's statement.

"Careful, Nikki. Maybe someday, the roles with be reversed. You will find yourself in the friendzone and you can't do anything about it." Ari said. "Oh you're already in that situation. You finally have a new title series, Friendzoned." Both Ari and April burst out laughing.

Good thing the people around us were busy watching the game and is not giving a damn about our conversation, because if so, my long time secret will be out! Me crushing on Daniel.

My eyes zeroed in to Daniel. He was currently dribbling the ball and calling out plays to his teammates.

Something what Ari and April said made me wonder.

Was Daniel friendzoning me?

No. No way! I should get out of that zone immediately. I should show him that I'm a girlfriend material, not just a simple girl friend!