Chapter 5

Woke up with a start from a nightmare/flashback went on a run to clear my head, went to work ignoring all those around me, talking to no one unless spoken to, going to the gym to work out then went home and called my friends up asking them how they are and really just to hear their voices, I  missed them so much. Thats about how the next month of my life went. I tried to keep a low profile but it was hard considering this pack almost never gets new members unless they are born into it. Whenever I went out to go on an errand like buy groceries or art supplies or something someone from the pack would come up to me like they know me and try to ask me personal questions. I would always just brush it off and say I had somewhere I had to be but it was starting to get on my nerves.

The gym was the worst. I went to the pack gym because normal humans can’t lift what we werewolves find easy, and everytime I went all the people there usually all guys would be in complete awe at what I could do. I mean I really don’t blame them because I can lift more than most of the guys that but you would think that after a month of going there practically every day they would be over the shock of it but noooooo they have to stare every damn time I go.

My money was starting to dwindle and even though I had plenty by most standards it was not enough for me to feel comfortable so I decided to take a joyride to the city. Another cool thing about my job is that after my car that I use to race in got here I was able to keep it in the garage along with my bike. To say the boys drooled over my car would be an understatement. So I took my car on a joyride to the city not for the change of scenery but for the change of pace, literally. I was looking for a race and it wasn’t hard to find mainly because I knew where to look.

When I got there I parked my car and hopped out asking the nearest guy to me who was in charge. He pointed to a tall black dude with dreads. I was glad that I didn’t smell any weres here. I went to the dude and immediately stated my request “I want to race, one on one with the best here.”

He looked me up and down then chuckled at my cold tone of voice. “Damn girl you get straight to the point” I raised one of my eyebrows “alright, alright well I’m Drake and the best here would be Jake” He pointed to a skinny white dude with chicks hanging all over him. “But I’m warning you he doesn’t race for cheap and he has never lost.”

Smirking I said “Neither have I, and I got ten g’s that enough.”

He whistled “Hell yeah” he turned to where Jake was and yelled “Yo Jake get over here we got a challenger.”

Jake looks over a smile spreading across his face “Sick how much they dropping”

“Ten g’s” I replied looking him straight in the eye. At this point all eyes were on us. But I didn’t care this was my element.

Jake looked me up and down just like Drake and laughed “You’re wasting your money little girly, there is no way you are beating me.”

I had to hold back a snarly at the nick name “Just for that comment I going to boost it up to twenty-five g’s” getting up in his face I added “and don’t ever call me little girly again my name Prim and you better do well to remember it when I beat your ass.”

He chuckled but I could see the doubt behind his calm facade. “You got deal, it’ll be like taking candy from a baby. And since I’m In a good mood I’ll even like you pick the type of race”

I knew I had him now there was no way I was going to lose to this prick. “Alright I pick drift race seems like a good one considering the course” I looked back on the dirt road circuit with twist and turns, I wonder what it is used for in the day time I thought.

He nodded in agreement “You gotta deal” He took money out of his back pocket counted it and handed it to drake who recounted it. After he was done I handed him my stack.

After he was all done counting the fifty g’s, he looked up at us both “Okay now I want a clean race basically anything goes accepted for purposely screwing over the other driver. First over the finish line wins unless they didn’t have clean drifts. Racers get in your cars and bring them to the starting line.”

As I walked back to my car the people parted like the red sea, it was probably due to the fact I was admitting a don’t fuck with the ora right now. I got in my car and brought it up to the start, Jake did the same. Now that fifty g’s were on the line he was all business. Drake stepped in the front as we rev'd our engines.

“Ready....Set.........Go” He put his arms down and we were off. I held back on the first half of the course getting a good feel for him. He had the lead but right after the third turn I saw my opening, he left the outside wide open so I took it. I had to give it to him he was good just not good. I easily got a far lead. On the last straight away I decided to flaunt it. I slammed on the brakes turned the car around threw it in reverse slamming on the gas giving Jake a smug little wave as I crossed the finish line backwards. After crossing the line I turned my car around parking and getting out I walked over the Drake holding out my hand for the money. There was some cheering but mostly everyone’s jaws were on the ground.

Drake finally snapped out of it “Damn girl you weren’t kidding when you said you would win.”

He handed me the money the money and I gave him two thousand back. “For setting up the race.”

His smile widened “Thanks Prim, you know I think I like you.”

“I think I like her too.” I looked to my right to see it was Jake who spoke up “Good race I underestimated you, but I think even if I didn’t I still wouldn’t have won you are clearly the better racer.”

He stuck out his hand and I took it smiling a smile that reached my eyes “Thanks, you are good too if there was a better selection of racers out here I’m sure it would have at least been a closer match.”

Jake laughed at that “Yeah you’re probably right” in a more hushed tone he leaned over to me and said “everyone around here kinda sucks.”

I laughed and regrettingly said “It’s really been fun but I have to get going I got work tomorrow at eight and I still got the drive ahead, but hey how bout you two give me your numbers and we can hang some time.” I looked at Jake and added “Maybe I’ll even teach you some of my tricks.”

Both of them nodded and after exchanging numbers we said our goodbyes and I was on my way.

Getting home I was feeling better than I had ever since I came here. I had plenty of money now courtesy of Jake and I was really relaxed. Maybe meeting new people wasn’t so bad after all. I should try meeting the people of the pack but I think I’ll wait until school starts. Maybe I’ll be nicer to Harry, Erin and Chris... well I’ll try.'

Feeling in a good mood I decided to let my wolf out and go for a run. I ended up finding this beautiful place. It was a small clearing with a little pond that had a mini waterfall and wild flowers all over the place. It was amazing. After laying there for a little while I headed home. (No caps = actually home not name of town) I ended up collapsing on my bed at like 3 AM. Well work tomorrow sure is going to be fun... NOT oh well.