Chapter 17

Galya’s POV

They were exactly almost the same. Tall and tanned described them both; so did blond. But while the sister’s hair was long and fell in beautiful, natural waves over her bare shoulders, the brother’s was short. Strange choice given his brand attire; the latest fashion dictated the boys to have longer hair so how come he ignored that?

Another difference was in the way they smiled at me. The girl was doing that to be polite while the boy’s baby blue eyes – a color that his twin shared – were playfully seductive. Caden had had a good reason to warn me about Skyler Miller – I’d spent no more than two minutes with him and I could already feel the strength of his charm on me.

“Are we late?” Caden asked after introducing the last of his friends.

“No, I just came here too early,” I took a sip of the soda and berries non-alcoholic cocktail I’d ordered while I’d waited for them. It was a special at Alfredo’s – the pizza place the boys had chosen to celebrate at.

It had always been one of my favorite places to eat in Aberville. Once small and family-orientated, it had grown into two larger restaurants yet had preserved its original charm. The one where we were currently seated had huge windows overlooking the street and the park behind it; when there was no traffic, you could actually see couples cuddling on the benches there or parents pushing the swings back and forth to the enjoyment of their offspring. The tables in the restaurant were wooden and so were the chairs with their carvings on the back. It wasn’t anything fancy though – just a simple vine and grape motif. You could see the same pattern whittled on the bar or embroidered in green and violet at the edge of the table cloth. Even the menus and napkins had it printed on them; after all, Alfredo’s was famous for its wine as well as its crispy pizzas.

“You didn’t miss much,” I told the group. “Just that lovely lady over there – the brunette with the beige dress – asking if there were any eggs in the egg yolk. Apparently she doesn’t like eggs.”

Keegan’s hand stopped midway as it was reaching for the menu.

“She asked what?” He queried, his eyes just as large as those of his friends.

“If there were any eggs in the egg yolk,” I repeated calmly; I’d had plenty of time to laugh off her stupidity while I waited for this bunch to come. “She ordered a Jean Lafitte and…” I noticed their clueless gazes so I clarified: “It’s a gin-based cocktail with sugar and egg yolks in it. So, she ordered that and asked the waiter if the egg yolks contained eggs because she thought – and I quote – ‘that eggs are like so disgusting’. She didn’t clarify why though.”

The whole table erupted into laughter.

“She said that?” The male twin asked then nudged his roommate. “Kee, this one is too blond even for us.”

“You of all people are calling someone blond?” The other boy questioned.

“I didn’t mean it literally; I can see she’s a brunette,” Skyler replied. “I meant as in brain abilities. You know, the blonds are stupid stereotype.”

“Again: you of all people are calling her that?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Maybe you would’ve figured it out, Sky,” his friend grinned, “if you weren’t born blond.”

I smiled as I watched the two boys continue with their banter. Skyler was now pouting but he looked adorable that way. That was when I noticed it: even though both of them were attractive, they weren’t the same type of attractive.