Chapter 3: Another day, Another day, I'm Starting to Lose my Way

• Dedicated to Britt DaDemon

            “Marie mon chere qu’est qu c’est?” A figure says, towering over me.

I freak out and cower into the corner by my bed since I am in my human form then and cannot summon my scythe.

“GET AWAY!!!” I scream as Gabriel rushes to me and holds me close

“It is me! Your husband! Gabriel! Shush, you are safe. You are safe.” He says as he smoothes my hair from its tangles.

“Gabriel… Gabriel…. Wh…. Gabriel I’m sorry I didn’t know it was you.”

“Shh….. it is ok. You are ok.”

“Ugh… what time is it?”

At that moment, mother bursts in.

“Wake up. Breakfast” She announces in a neutral voice.

            I act like I am rising up from a tangle from the covers and kiss Gabriel on the cheek.

“Allé et mang tu petite dejuner oui? I’ll be here.” He says and lies in my bed.

“Yes I’ll go eat then… and -”

“Chut. Allé! Mangé.”

            And with that, I wrap up in my quilt and go downstairs. I stand in front of the freezer. As I open it, I catch sight of the chocolate waffles and snatch them up while ripping off the packaging and inserting them into the toaster in one fell swoop. As the waffles toast, I pour myself a glass of chocolate soy milk and chug it. I slowly grab a plate and listen as the news plays from the living room.

“And in other news, another victim was found. The body was charred, the blood apparently drained before the burning and the center of the forehead was carved out of the skull. Still no witnesses have come forward…”

Who could possibly want the blood… It sounds kinda appetizing to me but…

     Pause. Yeah I know your initial thoughts are “holy shiz are you on something?” Feel free to insert your nervous laugh at the end of that question. And no I’m not on anything I swear to the big man behind all creation. Let me explain. I told you earlier I am a fake angel right? Nod your head. Ok so as being a fake angel, I need sustenance. That sustenance is life itself. So… What is life itself?? I’ll rephrase that. What is blue on the inside red on the outside and everyone has about nine pints? Bing bing bing! Blood! Pretty lady in the back gets a car for being the one to guess it right so can we now get back to the story?

But really that sounds… kind of excessive… If they’re already dead why overkill? I will never understand these humans but at least they give me work.

      The toaster pops up the waffles and I eat them quickly as the news switches to weather at the top of the hour. After seeing it will be cloudy with a chance of rain, and you thought I’d say meatballs, I run upstairs and hop in the shower. After stripping down, I test the water from the spicket and pull on the shower plug. Instantly, I slip and fall into the tub as cold water pours on me.

OH MY GEEEEEEEESE!!! THESE PEOPLE MUST BE POLAR BEARS!!!! HOT WATER DOES NOT EXIST UP HERE!!! I DON’T WANNA BECOME A VIKING; I’M TOO REFINED!!!!!!!!

I finish in less than five minutes and rush to get the hair dryer. As I turn it on, Legato texts me.

-So how are you this morning, my love?

Shivering, I reply.

-COLD THEY HAVE NO HOT WATER UP HERE!!!

-I’m sure hot water exists. Maybe you need to boil it then run it up and down the steps