A Proscriptive Relationship: 16

Loud, excited, talking met my ears as soon as I opened the locker room door. I frowned, but walked to the changing area to see what all the commotion was about. Casey was halfway through putting her shirt on when she noticed me.

"Holly!" she cried, yanking down her shirt quickly. "Guess who is subbing for gym class?"

I knew right away by all the excited girls, but decided to play along. "Who?"

"Mr. Heywood!"

"Cool," I responded, setting down my gym bag and starting to take off my shirt.

"Why aren't you more excited?" she asked, tossing her clothes in one of the lockers.

"Why should I be excited?" I responded, unbuttoning my pants. "This just means all the girls will be trying to impress him."

"Well I think you should be happy."

"Why's that?"

Casey winked. "He gets to see you in your cute little short-shorts."

I blushed, looking down at the shorts in my hand. "My shorts aren't that short!"

"Still, you never wear shorts except for gym."

"He's a teacher, Case, I don't think he cares what high school girls look like in short shorts," I told her, rolling my eyes. "When will you get it out of your head that Chris and I have a thing for each other?"

"Chris?" she repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"I meant Mr. Heywood," I corrected myself quickly.

Casey smirked. "Sure you did. Lance told me about how you and Mr. Heywood were in the same car together yesterday morning."

I scowled and silently cursed Lance. But I had never told him not to tell, so it wasn't al his fault.

"Whatever, let's just go up. Everyone has already finished changing and I bet the bell-"

Before I could finish my sentence, the bell went off. Casey made a face and together we ran for the stairs that led up to the gym. I pushed the door open and, sure enough, there was Mr. Heywood with a gaggle of girls surrounding him.

"I want to go talk to him," Casey complained as I dragged her to where Lance and Willis were.

"Hey babe," Willis greeted Casey, giving her a one armed hug.

"Hi," she responded with a sigh.

Lance laughed, patting Willis on the back. "Looks like she was struck by the Heywood love bug too."

Casey laughed while Willis shot Lance a dirty look.

"I'm not in love with the man, Lance, that's be creepy," Casey told him, rolling her eyes. "He's just attractive for a man of his age."

"Can we not talk about this?" Willis asked.

"You're still my favorite, Will," Casey told him, enveloping her hand in his.

I frowned to myself and looked at the ground. Casey thought it was creepy to be in love with Mr. Heywood? Did that mean I was creepy?

I quickly slapped myself, earning curious looks from the trio in front of me. I blushed and just shrugged at them.

"A mosquito," I lied.

"In the gym?" Lance asked with an eyebrow raised.

"I guess so."

Lance laughed and shrugged. "Whatever, Holly."

I turned away from them so they wouldn't see the blush growing on my face. What was I thinking? I wasn't in love with Mr. Heywood! It was a silly crush!