Chapter 8: Reunited

[WARNING] This chapter, and lots of chapters to come after this will contain violence. If you are not okay with any sorts of violence, it is suggested that you stop reading this fan fiction. It is a medieval themed AU. Otherwise, enjoy!

-

"James?" Ze whispered as his knuckles tapped against the wooden door. His friend sat up slowly and twisted to the side to face him as he rubbed at his weary eyes. The blankets fell from his body and drooped down onto the floor.

"...Hmmm..?" James smiled sleepily when he caught Ze's gaze.

"You're okay." Ze said, his voice filled with relief as the heavy weight of worry was lifted from his chest.

"What made you think I wouldn't be?"

"I-...I don't know. I was just worried."

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself."

"Yeah, until some guy shoves a damn knife in you." Ze scoffed playfully, earning a chuckle from James' end.

"I guess." He shrugged his shoulders weakly and eased himself backwards to rest his back against the headboard of the bed. Ze sat down at the foot of his bed, sighing as he dropped his weight down onto it.

"So, any idea of when you're getting out of here?"

"Nah, not yet." James twiddled his thumbs in a circular motion and eyed them as if he was hard at work. "I'm guessing about a week, though. Can't be completely sure."

"Good, good..." Ze stared up at the ceiling awkwardly as he braced his elbows down on the top of his thighs. He pursed his lips and took a deep breath before speaking again. "...James?"

"Hmmm?" He stopped playing with his thumbs.

"What are we going to do after this?" Ze asked, adjusting slightly at the foot of the bed to turn directly in front of the other. "I mean, we weren't even supposed to be at the ceremony, right? What would make us think we'd be welcome to stay, and that everything would be just fine and dandy?"

"Obviously, that's not how it's gonna be, I know that. I'm thinking I'll just do whatever comes with the passing time." James hummed and wriggled downward, now keeping his folded arms up behind his head.

"I guess." Ze shrugged the thought off, until remembering one more detail he had left out. "Wait, one more thing."

"Yeah?"

"Where has the king been? Why hadn't he come up to scold you or me yet?"

"Who knows?"

-

Aleks let out a pained grunt as he was thrown back against the stone wall on the far side of the room. Jordan towered over him, chuckling darkly as he caressed his sword, the low flames reflecting off of it's silvery sheen.

"What made you think you could come back here?" He said in a low growl as he thrust his sword down into a small pile or hay to the right of him, while Aleks sharply inhaled in fear of the sword hitting him.

"Come on, Jordan." He bottled his fear up and began to speak confidently once again. "We both know this damn kingdom belongs to me."

"I know nothing of that nonsensical garbage. The king before us had passed this down to me, not you."

"We were, what, 11 years old?"

"I was 12."

"Then why did you act like you were 5 at the time? 'Oh look at me, I accidentally set off a treat that could destroy us all and- oh, wait, what's that, it DID destroy us all!'" Aleks sang in a mocking tone, watching as Jordan began to tense up while enmity builded within him.