†† Chapter Twenty-Seven

[This is the ending of Biting Jasper. Please take a moment of silence to give the vote button one last chance to live on. Click it. And you will always remember Biting Jasper. Are you a big fan? Click!]

               The island. We reached it. It was far below us, looking almost like a tiny insect. The three of us hovered in the air, planning. Adam talked to Kim, their conversation was silent to me. I was focused on the people below that weren't expecting us. They lived in huts with almost no technology. The only thing I sensed were a few radios and televisions but nothing else. They lived off the island. They were peaceful people who worshipped something they've never even seen. The dragon.

               On the other side of the island stood a giant volcano. It was undisturbed and quiet. It was inactive. But I knew that it wouldn't remain that way for long. I feared for these people. But we couldn't stand back. Either I die, or the world does. Yes. I heard everything the necromancer part of me said. That's why I couldn't stand back to protect these people, even though most of them would try to attack us. They will defend the dragon, not us. They would see us as evil enemies who only wanted to destroy their island and the dragon.

               But we only needed a little of his blood. I'm sure the dragon was big and healthy. A couple of drops wouldn't kill anyone.

               "I know what you're thinking, Jasper," Adam said, looking at me with sensitive eyes. "But you cannot worry about those people down there. I will warn you now, that it might get a little terrifying for you. Kim and I won't hold back, we will kill anyone who stands in our path. You will see us as the monsters we truly are. But this is the only way."

               "I understand," I replied quietly.

               "We should wait before going down. The sun is about to disappear, and we'll have a bigger advantage in the dark. They won't see us clearly through the jungle. But once we reach the volcano, we will be seen. As you can see," He pointed at the volcano, "it's all clear and open. If it gets too difficult for any of you, just run for the water and fly away."

               "Why would it get difficult? They're just a bunch of defenseless people," I asked.

               "Look around them. What do you see?"

               I looked down at the people and only saw trees. Trees . . . wood . . . stakes. Their only weapon had to be made out of wood. They would also be pretty handy with darts. They could attack from anywhere. And there are many of them.

               "Protect your hearts," I told them both.

               They rolled their eyes.

               "How will we get  to the dragon? It's inside the volcano, right?" Kim wondered.

               Adam nodded. "Yes, it's inside the volcano, sleeping. We need to destroy the top of the volcano. We need something heavy that will crumble the earth and awaken the dragon."

               "Great. Wake the big bad wolf so we can die. Why can't we just go inside the volcano and get the blood while he sleeps?" I suggested.

               "The volcano might seem calm and steady but we can feel the lava inside. Any type of heat will hurt us really bad. Hence the sun and all. Our necklaces only protect us from the sun's rays. Anything else is up to nature. If we play with fire, we get burned. If we play for too long, we die," he answered.

               My eyes bored into his. "So . . . you're saying that the dragon is sleeping in lava?"

               "Pretty much."