Chapter Twenty Nine

LIVE LOVE AND NIALL HORAN

Chapter Twenty Nine

When I woke up, I quietly slipped out of the pillow fort before getting changed and heading back to my high school one last time. It was Graduation in a few hours and for some of us, it was the last time seeing each other.

Putting on an outfit Avery had already picked for me the previous night, I looked the mirror. 

I had dark circles this morning, nothing concealer couldn't fix. I had applied a light coat of mascara and put my hair in its usual waves. My dress was white and flowing with a light floral print. The shoes were little white heels that I had worn before on many occasions. The white did make my skin look tanner and my eyes look darker, I had to admit. 

Grabbing my bag, I slipped out the door, hoping to not wake any of the boys up.

*

I had to say, the Principal did give me some slightly amused looks as I entered the building. Guess he expected I'd be gone. After boring, long, speeches, it was finally Chanel's turn. As she walked up to the podium, dark blueish purple graduation robe already on, she gave me a small smile before she spoke.

"To infinity and beyond. I'm sure you've all heard Buzz Lightyear saying it growing up on Toy Story. It meant a completely different thing then than what it does today.  The majority of you, we have known each other since preschool and for some of us, this is our last day left."

Her eyes gave James a sympathetic smile before she continued.

"We have survived 17 or 18 years of the Upper East Side. And anybody who has seen how New York is portrayed in movies and shows like Gossip Girl know that is not how it is here. We've survived copyright breaches and song stealing."

The crowd chuckled at the memory of that singer who came into town on tour when we were in 9nth grade and stole one of James' songs. He ended up leaving with a broken into hotel room, a hacked sound system, a damaged car, a broken leg, the police on him, and the determination to never set foot back in this town.

"The miracle healing of our friends."

Eyes turned to Rachel Cole, whose beautiful silky red locks were once gone due to none other than the disease we know as cancer. She made a full recovery in the 10th grade.

"An undercover robbery."

One of Thomas Scott's housekeepers in the 8th grade turned out to be stealing from them the whole time. We did come up with a rather elaborate plan to stop her. 

"And many more. Exchange students who have come to us over the years have learned that we truly are unforgettable. Even if they tried. We've all come together, through every difference and trouble we've had, it only pushes us closer. What makes us different than the other graduating classes, I'm sure of, is our relationships with each other."

The crowd chuckled as Chanel went on. 

"I'm sure everybody remembers when 14 year old James climbed the side of a building of about 4 stories because he bet somebody else 50 bucks he could and needed the money to get tickets and flowers to his girlfriend's recital?"