The Photograph

Bursting into her suite she ran into the bedroom and pulled the sock drawer open, slipping the photo into her pocket. She nearly tripped on her way down the stairs, she was going so fast. Somehow it felt like Natasha might be gone when she got back. Like the woman might change her mind and make a break for it. The computer hacker was so twitchy that Alice wouldn’t be surprised…

But no, she was still there, blinking around nervously.

Alice sat down and slid the photograph onto the table between the two of them, watching Natasha’s face as she examined the photo.

“Do you recognize any of these women as being Monica Dobek?”

Natasha frowned, narrowing her eyes as she scanned the photo. Alice inched her chair closer, glancing down at the photo herself. It had been awhile since she’d bothered looking at the picture. She’d looked at it a lot at first, mostly at her Aunt Ruby. She wished she knew what her aunt had been like. She only had vague, fuzzy memories of her.

Natasha suddenly sat up straight in her chair. “Hang on. Yes, I think that’s her.” She jabbed a finger at the picture, at one of the taller ladies standing at the back of the group. The woman had sharp, angular features and silvery hair. Small spectacles perched on the end of her nose, and her smile was a little bit wry looking. As if she hadn’t really wanted to pose for the picture and was humouring her friends.

Alice leaned over, squinting, trying to see the woman’s face better. She had looked at this photo so many times when she’d first got it, but she’d never really concentrated on one person. There was nothing remarkable looking about her. Only…

A stab of shock as she realized what was bothering her. The woman was familiar. When she really concentrated on her face, she could have sworn there was something she recognized about her. That distinctive smile. Who had looked at her like that?

It hadn’t been recently. Alice sat back in her chair, frustrated. She looked up to see Natasha studying her face.

“Your expression changed just now,” the woman said accusingly. “You know who she is, don’t you? Tell me.”

Alice bit her fingernail and shifted her gaze back down to the photo. “I think—I don’t know. I think I recognize her from somewhere. But it isn’t coming to me. It’s not her face as much, it’s her smile….” She blinked, looking back up at Natasha. “I know that sounds mental—”

“No, no. Facial recognition is stronger when it’s associated with something like that. Maybe it’s someone you met a long time ago.” Natasha leaned forward eagerly. “Can you remember the conditions you met her in? Maybe the emotions you felt?”

Alice shook her head. “I think maybe there were other people with me, but that’s all I can remember.”

“Your friends at the book signing.”

How did Natasha know about that? She’d tried to make it look as if she’d come alone. Had it been very obvious the others were with her? “Did you…how do you know?”
                The computer hacker smiled, a lopsided expression. She was obviously proud of herself. “I have very honed powers of perception. Well, that and the fact that I’ve read articles about you in Witches Weekly and stuff. Everyone knows you have an entourage.”