How many girls has he left behind, thinking he cared? How many girls did he promise forever to yet left without so much as a blink?

I know I’m holding up the line, but I don’t really care. He’s still staring at me and I just stand here and look back like an idiot. When neither of us say anything, I decide to speak first.

“I don’t like you.”

I state for the second time that day. It wasn’t that I didn’t like him, it’s what he stood for that I didn’t like. His lips twitch at the corner of his mouth as if he was trying to hide a smile that was threatening to appear.

“I could swear angel you already told me that.”

I lean forward on the counter and he matches my movement so that now there was only about six inches separating my lips from his.

Why my mind was on Julio Hernandez’s lips, I have no idea.

He smiles as if he could read my mind and he says in a soft whisper. “But you see Miss Mays; I think it is just a cover up. In reality you have this burning passion for me and if you could, you would tear my clothes apart and have me right now.”

He was mocking me and he and I both knew it. I smile slowly and lean closer till his breath breaks against my lips. I look him up and down, as slow as I can,  and then look him straight in the eyes and say:

“I’ve seen better.”

I straighten out and he raises an eyebrow at me. I raise one right back, daring him to say something, when he suddenly jerks his gaze over my shoulder.

I peek behind me to see what has suddenly caught his attention when I notice that it was the guy who was still staring at me. Now he’s closer than before and his eyes are solely looking at my V-neck shirt.

Julio follows the guys gaze and looks with a quick flick of his eyes. While the guy in line seems entrapped by my cleavage, Julio barely registers it.  

Okay...

Julio nods his head to the kid and the kids eyes leave my chest as he turns toward Julio’s hard gaze and locked jaw.

“Sorry kid, but the shows not for free. That’s my girl you are looking at. So, if you want something to stare at, maybe you should go check some magazine stands. If you know what I mean.”

The kid doesn’t say anything as he quickly turns around, pushes through the line, and fast walks out the front door without bothering to look back one time. I turn back to Julio and he throws a rag over his shoulder and winks at.

“No need to thank me. No wait, if you do want to thank me, I have a few ideas on how you could.”

He grins as if he could see the ideas happening right now and I winkle my nose and hold up three fingers.

“Three things are wrong with that sentence buddy. One being that I would never touch you,”

“We’ll see about that,” Julio butts in and I shake my head and continue on with my speech as if he never talked in the first place. Touching my fingers together, I continue.

“Two, I’m not your anything, so maybe next time don’t be giving people the idea.”

I stop for a moment, trying to think of my third reason and Julio cocks an eyebrow, waiting for me to continue on with my rant. I just drop my hand and then bring it back up to wave it in the air. How this guy can make me forget what I’m thinking is beyond me.

“I don’t like you.”

I just say out of annoyance and his soft laughter seems to carry around the whole Café. Unlike Nick, his laugh isn’t boyish or sweet. It’s dark, deep, and enticing. It’s the kind of laugh people will stop to listen too. ‘