chapter 32

I heard the blood pulsate in my ears and saw the world around me fading in dangerous black spots.

Just when I felt my legs giving way, Lisa’s anxious voice rang through the loudspeaker. “Zoey? Zoey, what happened? Zoey?” Her voice held a note of panic.

I fell down on my knees and fumbled for the phone. Picking it up with shaky fingers, I whispered an “I’m here” and fell flat on my ass.

The world still spun and I tasted too much saliva in my mouth. I gulped loudly, forcing it down my throat. Focus, Zoey.

“I’m still at the hospital, in the parking lot. Do you want to come over?” Lisa’s voice brought me back to reality and I picked myself up.

“Coming,” I quickly replied and ended the call. I threw on the first clothes I could find and ran to the front door, grabbing the keys to my parents’ car without asking for permission.

I drove over the speed limit and didn’t pay attention to the other drivers, taking their right of way. Loud honks could be heard behind me but at that moment, I just didn’t care.

The car came to a screeching stop in the hospital’s parking lot. I only had half in mind to lock the door after I got out.

“Zoey!” Lisa yelled once she laid her eyes on me. She waved her arms to catch my attention and I ran over to her waiting near the entrance.

“Where is he?” I asked, grabbing both her upper arms with my hands. The key fell from my grip and Lisa jerked her arms away, bent down to pick up the keys and placed them in my jacket pocket.

“I don’t know. Let’s ask someone.” My best friend took my right hand in her left one and tugged me inside. The warmth of the hospital welcomed me along with the smell of chemicals and sickness.

There was a lot of commotion. Nurses hastily running around with papers in their hands, doctors running along the hallway; shouting orders, patients skulking with transfusion stands trundling behind them, relatives waiting for their beloved family members; some were smiling, some were crying.

“Excuse me, we’re looking for Harry Styles. He was admitted around 15 minutes ago and has been taken to the Emergency Room,” Lisa spoke slowly to the nurse at the front desk of the hospital.

She looked up from her paperwork and waved over to our left. “The ER is this way, they can tell you more.”

Without waiting for Lisa, I followed the signs on the walls and soon found myself in the middle of the Emergency Room. It was nothing like in the movies; it was worse.

Several beds filled the room, creating small ways for doctors and nurses. One of those beds was shoved past me, the doctor shouting “OR” to anyone listening and able to help. The patient laid in a pool of his own blood, his face was pale and his eyes lifeless.

The noises were too loud, they all mashed together, creating one loud pounding sound. Cries, screams, shouts, the up and down of respiratory masks, heart monitors, the disgusting sound of blood squirting.

The smell was even worse, it made me sick to the pit of my stomach and I felt like throwing up.

I looked around, looked into the faces of crying children, screaming men and woman, shouting doctors. But I didn’t lock eyes with a pair of green ones I was desperate to find.

“Have you found him?” Lisa’s voice made me jump to the sight but she placed her small hands on my shoulders to calm me down.

I shook my head and looked around once more, searching for him. Or for someone that could help us. Everyone was busy and even though they all seemed to hurry, it felt like the hands of time were going slower and slower, nearly coming to a standstill.