Shadows in the Dark

"Seriously, Kyle... That girl was so into you." Derek said as he reached across the table and mock punched my arm.

"No she isn't. She was looking at you." I replied casually, smiling at my glass of coke before I downed it in one. In truth, the waitress was indeed flirting so openly at me, but I ignored her all through out which resulted to her knitting her eye brows together and walking away after she threw my plate of spaghetti on the table.Derek just rolled his eyes at me. He stood up and grabbed his knapsack from the chair beside him.

"Yes, she is dude. Didn't you see how she was looking at you. I doubt that she'd even hesitate if you asked her to come with you." Derek continued with a tone of exasperation. I stood up and grabbed my backpack that contained all of my books and threw it across my back.

We walked pass the counter and the waitress looked at me with this sickly sweet smile, her brown hair flipping in every direction. I cringed.

Derek then had his arms across my shoulder, keeping me close. "Sorry, Miss. But he's taken by me." he winked at her. And I saw confusion then shock cross her face. Great, now she thinks I'm gay. I laughed out loud before shooting glares at Derek.

Now out of the diner, cold wind and the dark deserted street greeted us. The towering skyscrapers of New York spread far out in the skyline.

"See? She's still looking at you lustfully even if she thinks you're gay." Derek exclaimed, disbelief crossing his face before he smacked his palm into his head. "You've got to teach me, man. Do you like, wear some kind of cologne?" he asked me thoughtfully. I decided to answer him before he could even experiment on scents.

"You know she probably still looks at me that way because it's obivious that you're the one who's gay." I laughed as Derek's face seemed to turn blue from shock. I could almost hear him thinking of a witty come back.

But I beat him to it.

"And about the cologne stuff, no. I don't need them. Do you know why?" I asked him and he just shook his head at me. I took my time to strike a pose, mimicking some guy on a magazine that I came across once. I leaned against the nearest light post to us and ran my hands through my black hair while fixing my eyes on the billboard advertising a brand of car atop an abandoned building. I parted my mouth a little bit exhaling a big gust of air before saying "Being handsome cannot be learned. You've got to be born with it." I laughed inwardly at how weird that sounded.

I turned around and saw that Derek had his mouth open, as if saying that he couldn't believe what I just did. "What happened to you. You look like you just saw a ghost." I chuckled as he tried to regain his composure.

 "Nah, man. It's just that it looked so real." he said, awestruck. I laughed again as I mock punched his arm like he did mine a while ago. 

"Shut your mouth before you drool all over me, bro." I joked as I nudged his chin upward with my hand. My eyes flickered to the darkest part of the street behind Derek... I didn't know why, but a strange pull suddenly diverted my attention to it. There under the flickering streetlight was a person, probably female based on her petite frame. She was looking at me and Derek, but I couldn't be so sure, she kept the hood of her gray jacket up, a black hole in the place where her face should be. Clad in jeans, her gray jacket and running shoes, she looked pretty miniscule, but maybe that's just because she's quite far from me. Her arms were crossed in an impatient manner in front of her as she leaned up against the alley wall.

 I took a few steps forward, ready to run to her and take her some place warm. I scrunched up my face in confusion. Why would I want to do that?

"-should get a cab. It's going to rain soon." Derek's voice broke through my mind. My head snapped up as I turned around and found Derek looking at me waiting for my answer. He looked a bit surprised to see that I was almost out of hearing range. I walked back up to where he was.