Chapter 1 - Why wasn't she moving?

10 years Ago

"I'm home!" I screamed into the house only to have my echo be my only response.

"Mom! Mom, where are you?" I screamed again. I dropped the bag my mom had packed my snacks in on the kitchen counter that was well over two feet taller than me before heading upstairs, maybe she was in her music studio.

I was at the top of the stairs when I heard it, the sound was faint at first but the closer I walked to the studio the louder it got. By the time I got to the studio's door the sound of the piano's keys being randomly banged echoed throughout the halls. I knocked on the door repeatedly with my tiny fist hoping to get her to open the door, the banging briefly paused before continuing again only now with more power.

"Mom," I said quietly entering the room, "What are you doing?"

She didn't respond as she continued banging on the keys. I walked closer to her noticing the pill bottle on the top of the piano, does she have another headache?

"Mom, are you alright?" I said reaching out my hand to grab her arm and when my skin made contact with hers she flinched away and stopped her banging. I backed away slightly confused and hurt by her her sudden movements.

"Ella darling, will you play the guitar for mommy?" She said in a slightly shaky tone when she finally turned to look at me. I nodded my head and headed over to the guitars hanging an the wall, grabbing the only one I could reach.

"What would you like to hear?" I whispered as I lowered my body on the ground beside where she sat on the bench.

"Anything you want darling." She said closing her eyes and leaning her back against the piano. I nodded and took a deep breath before strumming and letting words flow out of my mouth like a waterfall.

"I remember tears streaming down your face

When I said "I'll never let you go"

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said "Don't leave me here alone"

I kept my eyes on her the whole time as I saw her body visibly relax against the piano as soon as the first chord was strummed.

"But all that's dead and gone and past tonight.

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound"

I smiled softly when I saw her lips move as she sang along softly to the song, her favorite song.

"Don't you dare look out your window

Darling everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold on to this lullaby

Even when the music's gone

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound"

Her voice grew stronger as she sang along, her eyes glazing over making me believe that she wasn't in the music studio with me anymore. That she wasn't sitting right in front of me, that she was gone.