Monster inside Me

I was snapped out of a nap. One of those deep sleep, mouth open and drooling naps. A persistent knocking intruded my dream and i lifted my groggy head. My very long, thick, black hair fell in frizzed waterfalls and some of the shorter layers stuck up and out around my face. Who in gods name was here? I though to myself. And why were they being so loud? They would wake my neighbors. I stumbled to the door, still in my school uniform, and threw it open.

     "CAN I help you!?" I snapped. My eyes fell on two young men, looking to be about twenty five at the most. The two of them held intense, scary stares that made me quickly change my attitude. They looked like FBI officers or something... I cleared my throat and started again, "Hello... I'm sorry, I have an elderly neighbor. I wouldn't want you to disturb him, he has heart problems." I blushed.

     Their stone faces finally changed and the one on the right gave me a half smile and his eyes changed to reassure me I hadn't offended them. "We need some information from you... Are your parents home? I'm Officer Skylar and this is Officer Alonso. Is your name Jupiter?"

     I nodded and backed up to let them into the small Norfolk, Virginia apartment. the man on the left, Officer Alonso, stepped in and looked around. "My mom isn't here..." I told them as I went to the kitchen to offer them some food or drinks. When I brought them some lemonade I found Officer Skylar holding a picture of my dad. "Would you like anything?" I sat the drinks down, suddenly feeling nervous. They new my name and were searching the apartment like we were hiding something... Was my mother in some kind of trouble?

     "Who is this man?" Skylar asked. I held out a tray of cookies that needed to be eaten from earlier in the week.

     "That's my father... Are you looking for him? My mom said he died." I twisted the hem of my skirt and sat down next to Alonso who had started to drink his glass of lemonade. He also munched on a cookie and pulled out a camera.

    "Don't be nervous, we just were told by our boss we needed to investigate this apartment. Mind if we look around?" Alonso raised his eyebrows and joined his partner in walking the joined kitchen-livingroom space. They looked at all the pictures around the room and the school papers on the fridge... then they went to the narrow hall with the bedroom doors. They opened mine first, looking around for a second and stepping inside. I was really hoping my mom would be back any second but she had said she was picking up my niece, which meant she wouldn't be home for another twenty minutes.

     "Excuse me, Jupiter?" Alonso exited my room and Skylar held out a handful of my drawings and pictures, "Who are these? Did you do these?"

     "That's my bestfriend... and those are my doodles. And the little girl is my niece... What exactly are you looking for?" i frowned confused