Two Brothers

Their feet crunch in the new snow as they walk across the white blanketed yard. They enter through the garage, knocking the snow from their boots and leaving little piles of snow that will melt into small puddles on the oil-stained cement floor. In the short hall between the garage and the laundry room the two boys hang their coats on the row of pegs on the wall and place their boots side by side on the rough blue-and-green carpet directly below the peg. They shed their hats, gloves and snow pants as they walk through the house, leaving a trail of clothes leading from the laundry room and through the living room, ending at the entrance to the small kitchen. The bigger boy spins the Lazy Susan cabinet until he sees what he wants. He places the box of Swiss Miss on the counter, opens it and takes out two packets of the hot chocolate powder. 

"When will Mom and Dad be home?" the smaller brother asks. 

"They'll be home by five. Dont'cha remember? Jeez. And don't forget, I'm in charge until they get home."

The smaller brother smirks behind his big brother's back, secure in the knowledge that his big brother will never know about the smirk. 

It's the first time they've been home alone. Normally it would be their mother making them hot chocolate when they got home from school on a cold winter day. Neither boy is sure what their parents had to do today that was so important. There was a phone call last night, and after the phone call their parents had gone into their bedroom to talk in whispers. Whispers were never good, because it meant there was something they didn't want the kids to know. Later, just before they were sent to bed, their parents sat both of them down on the couch and told them that they would be alone for a little while after school the next day. The big brother agreed that he was old enough now to take care of his little brother, and they both promised that they wouldn't fight while the parents were gone. 

According to the Mickey Mouse clock on the wall above the kitchen sink it is now 3:15. 

The big brother grabs one of the chairs away from the small kitchen table and drags it across the linoleum floor to the kitchen counter, then climbs up and takes down two ceramic cups from the cabinet. He sets the cups on the table and hops down off the chair, then drags it back to the table. 

"You know Mom doesn't like you dragging the chairs like that," the little brother says. "It makes marks."

"I didn't make any marks."

The big brother takes one of the cups to the sink and turns on the tap, filling the cup three quarters of the way with water. 

"I like mine with milk," the little brother reminds him. 

"I know, I know. Be quiet or you're gonna make me spill."

The big brother turns off the tap and sets his cup down, then goes to the fridge and takes out the carton of milk. He fills up the second class three quarters of the way, pouring slowly so he doesn't spill, and puts the milk back in the fridge. He places both cups in the microwave and sets it for two minutes. 

"Bobby Summers told me that of you leave water in the microwave too long it'll explode or something," the little brother says. 

"How can water explode?"

"I don't know. It just does. He says he saw it on tee-vee."

"The water isn't gonna explode,"

"How do you know it isn't?"

"Because I always heat it for two minutes and it never exploded before."

"Maybe it just happens sometimes, or maybe it only happens if you heat it for, like, twenty minutes or something. I'll have to ask him tomorrow."

The microwave dings. The big brother opens the door and pulls out both cups, setting them down quickly. 

"Damn, that's hot!"

"I'm gonna tell Mom you swore."

"No you won't."

"Why not?"

"Because I'll push your face in if you do."

The big brother gets a spoon out of the silverware drawer and sets it on the counter between the two cups. He picks up one of the Swiss Miss packets, tears off the top and pours the dark powder into the cup of water, stirring it in with the spoon. 

"Be careful, it could still explode."

"It's not gonna explode, dummy."

Satisfied that the chocolate powder has been sufficiently mixed in, the big brother repeats the process with the cup of milk. When he's done stirring he tosses the spoon into the sink, where it lands with a sharp clang

"Be careful. Don't take a big sip because it might still be too hot," the big brother warns. 

"Don't worry."

They both sit at the kitchen table with their cups of hot chocolate. They each take a small sip; finding that their drinks aren't too hot they gulp them down. 

"I'm hungry," the little brother moans. 

"Mom'll cook something when she gets home."

The little brother looks up at the wall clock. 3:36. Almost an hour and a half until Mom and Dad will be home. 

The little brother goes to his room to do his homework while the big brother takes both of the drained cups and washes them in the sink. He knows Mom will appreciate it.

***

It's 5:40 and Mom and Dad aren't home yet. The big brother tries both of their cells but neither of them answers. 

"You said they'd be home a five o'clock," the little brother whines. 

"That's what they told us last night, remember? Something must be holding them up. I'm sure they'll be home soon."

The big brother puts on the Avatar DVD that Grandma bought them for Christmas. The little brother forgets all about Mom and Dad, but the big brother can't stop watching the clock on the cable box. It's 6:00. Then it's 6:20. At 6:24 the brothers hear a car pull into the driveway. The big brother puts the movie on pause and they both run to the door. The little brother unlocks the door and pulls it open, a smile on his face. The smile disappears when he sees Mom's wet, puffy eyes. 

"What's wrong?" he asks. 

Neither parent answers the question. When they have divested themselves of their coats and shoes Dad tells the boys they need to have a talk. The boys take a seat on the couch, right where they sat the night before while they were told they would be home alone tomorrow. Dad stays standing while Mom sits on the far end of the couch, apart from her sons. She sniffles as she wipes a few tears from her cheeks. 

"Dad, what is it?" the big brother asks nervously. 

Dad clears his throat as he stands in the middle of the living room. He starts to say something, but his voice catches in his throat. He pauses for a moment, taking a few breaths. Then he opens his mouth again and begins speaking

© 2012 M. Ramon