Chapter 7 ~ Turn him down

Chapter 7 ― Turn him down

  “It’s getting late. We should go,” Belle said when we were ready to pick another movie. A comedy so no one would get scared. Cowards.

I looked up at my friend who was standing on her feet and with both hands on her hips. I was sitting on the floor, legs crossed, face to face with Zayn trying to decide which movie we should watch: we were between 17 Again, and The Hangover. I was betting for the first because, of course, I wanted to see Zac Efron on the big screen that Niall had. There were a few shirtless scenes that were calling me.

 “Really?” I asked glancing at my watch and indeed it was late, it was close to midnight. Shit! I spent too much time in the twitcam and then watching videos on Youtube. “You’re right. We should go.” I stood up and Phebs did the same. The lads followed us. I went for my stuff whilst my friends were saying goodbye. I saw in the faces of the boys that they didn’t want us to leave, but we had a home and we couldn’t stay. A sleepover wasn’t part of the invitation.

 I hugged all the boys goodbye and went to the door where my friends were already waiting, but before I could put a foot in front of the other, someone grabbed me by the elbow and pulled me away. I yelped as a boy was dragging me to the kitchen. When we stopped I turned around and found sweet blue eyes and a kind smile. I frowned and crossed my arms, waiting for whatever he wanted to say far away from the lads, because he wouldn’t have taken me here if he hadn’t had something to say.

 “Um, I was… So… Alex…” he mumbled and I forced myself to remain serious and to not smile at his cuteness. “Okay. I was wondering if you would like to go out with me,” he blurted and I froze right there. It wasn’t the first time he asked me that, but in this occasion he had been way more straightforward and I wasn’t expecting that. He totally caught me off guard!

 “I…” I whispered not knowing what to say. I hated to turn him down, I didn’t want to! But I said I was done with men and I couldn’t just go out with Niall a few days after my declaration. I wasn’t that inconsequent, for God’s sake! “Sorry, Niall, but I can’t. You know I just broke up with my ex-boyfriend and I’m not ready for anything yet. Anything romantic, at least. But we can be friends,” I offered with my best smile. Honestly, I wasn’t satisfied with that option, however, I knew it was for the best.

 I saw how his expression changed, how that hope and happiness that were shining seconds before in his eyes disappeared as I said my words. I hated the way he avoided my glance after that, how his cheeks were burning out of sheer embarrassment. He played nervously with the hair on his nape and I felt horrible.

“Yeah, you’re right. Just friends,” Niall repeated and I felt even worse. He didn’t sound like he was happy with the situation.

“Niall,” I whispered as I heard someone calling my name. I closed my eyes for a second, debating myself in what to do. I didn’t want to leave like this, I wanted him to understand why I was turning him down, but my friends were waiting for me. “Niall,” I called him. Our eyes met and I stepped forward. “In other situation, I would’ve loved to go out with you. You’re sweet, funny, clever, caring, and so many other things, but this is not the moment.”

 “Do you think I could change your mind?” he asked, his eyes were hopeful again. I smiled as I leaned closer and kissed his cheek.

 “I can’t tell you that. You have to find out,” I said knowing that giving him hope wasn’t the cleverest idea, but I couldn’t help myself because there was this part of me that wanted him to be able to change my mind. “Bye, Niall.”

 I walked away to my friends and the other boys who were looking at me confused. I just smiled and waved goodbye as I made my way out of Niall’s flat.