Chapter 9

Dedicated to dupreewolf for your, and I quote, “SUPER long comment”. Lol I loved reading it =D

Chapter nine:

No nightmares.

I was shocked at my realisation that for the first time in months I hadn’t had that awful nightmare that plagued my dreams. A smile flickered in the corners of my mouth and I rubbed a hand roughly over my tired eyes.

Maybe that was the trick of not having nightmares? Staying up late enough to be overly exhausted that I didn’t even have the brain power to dream. Whatever it was I was overjoyed to wake up in high spirits. I skipped over to the shower and afterwards dressed in a bright yellow plain t-shirt and denim short shorts while slipping on yellow converses. I was in a happy mood and wanted to portray that with my clothes too! I quickly ate breakfast and dashed off with a bright eyed Helena to history.

Bang!

And there is Mr Arbit, as always.

“Sorry I’m late class! Please quieten down we have a fair bit to discuss today and I’m sure you’d rather pretend to listen to me instead of reading the chapter in your text books!” Mr Arbit yelled all in one breath.

Today’s class was concentrated on The Control. Mr Arbit spoke about the high members of The Control which consisted of one Abled of each ability to make the main decisions and deliver punishments.

Before The Stinger Eradication there were five high members, but obviously there were only four now. The Stinger high member was a man called Malum, he was kicked out of The Control for his despicable plots and train of thoughts. Malum had thought that Stingers would’ve been the better option for the high members seeing as their ability would have been the better powers to deliver punishments. He had plotted several times to over throw the high members but was always caught before he could go ahead.

“Mr Arbit sir, if this Malum guy was caught so many times plotting against The Control why did it take so long for him to be kicked out?” A student called out, I wasn’t surprised to see it was Colin.

“Good question Colin” Mr Arbit called back. Seeing as Colin always had questions Mr Arbit knew him on a first name basis. “Every group of Abled voted on the person who will be high member and Malum was always voted back”

This made sense. Considering it was a modern day government, despite the fact it was a government for people with super natural abilities.  After Malum was over thrown from The Control there were no Stinger high member and soon after that was the beginning of The Stinger Eradication.

***

“Hey Val” I turned and saw Max standing further away from me with a grimace held on his face.

“Hey Max, what’s up?” I replied falling in step with him. We had water skills next and were headed over to the pool room.

“Um, I just wanted to, you know, apologise about what happened down at the lake yesterday. I shouldn’t have kissed you like that” he apologised scratching his head.

I gave him a lopsided smile and punched his shoulder. “No need to worry Max. Honestly, it’s fine”

He smiled back and heaved a sigh in relief. “Thanks Val. It’s just that... I like you. I know it’s pretty obvious now and I’m putting myself out on a limb but I was just wondering if you would, well, go out to dinner with me one time?”

“Like a date?”

“Yeah, like a date” I looked at Max and he was really nervous. If the light sheen of sweat across his forehead didn’t tell me otherwise his fidgeting hands were. So, I thought about it.  Helena said that I should give him a chance last night, and she was right. Max had been an awesome friend and I even told myself that I would tell him about the nightmare. I wasn’t ready to tell anyone about my parents yet.