When We Dream

To Dream or Not to Dream?: The Question Shakespeare Should Have Asked!

Langston Hughes, beloved American poet and leader of the Harlem Renaissance, famously wrote:  “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.”

Hughes knew that choosing the dream that feeds our souls is as critical to our existence as food and water is to our bodies.

When we choose our dreams well, following them leaves us feeling exhilarated and hopeful.  But if we chase dreams carelessly, before their time or for the wrong reasons, the endeavor leaves us feeling restless, lost and confused.  

So, is there a way to determine if our dreams are indeed worth following? If so, how can we know when the time is right to step out in faith, and begin making our dreams our new reality?

For starters, try applying Mary Webb’s “saddle your dreams before you ride em” principle. Before dashing off to quit your day job or make any drastic “dream leaps”, test your dreams against the weight of reality and your ego. If you and your maker were the only souls to know the ultimate fate of your dream, would it change your plans? If you are dreaming for the right reasons,  your dream’s score card won’t matter to anyone but you, and you won’t chase after any dreams for selfish, half-baked or immature reasons.

You can also measure your dreams against Suzy Welch’s 10-10-10 principal.  If you follow your dream,  how will it affect your life in the next ten minutes?  Ten months? How about in ten years?  If you look ahead and know that the fear, hard work and persistence required to make your dream succeed will be worth it,  you and your dreams are likely on the right track.

You may have an epic, Mt. Everest sized dream that will require every ounce of your time and energy,  or many smaller dreams that you’ll pursue over a long period of time.  Perhaps you’ll start out following one dream,  then end up on an entirely different road, where you’ll discover a new, more fitting and fulfilling dream. 

The exact nature and timing of your dream may elude you till you’re 40, 60 or 95.  But one thing’s for sure;  you are never too old to dream. (Just look at Diana Nyad, who set the world record for swimming from Cuba to Florida without a shark cage at age 64,  after four failed attempts!)

Your dream’s validity should not be measured against the size of your bank account, your age or by the applause you receive (or don’t receive) for your efforts. The true measure of dreams lies in how swiftly they awaken your soul, how well they put your talents to use, and whether they leave your unique and lasting fingerprint on the wounds of the world when your race is finished.

No matter what your dream, count on it to be an excellent teacher and shaper of your character. Well formed dreams instill patience, persistence and faith. They won’t lead you to the Candy Castle overnight.  There are going to be some Licorice Swamps along the way.  That doesn’t mean you are doing anything wrong.  It means you are following your dream. Roadblocks, breakdowns, detours and delays are all part of the package.

So dreamers- keep dreaming.  Combine your hard work, passion and commitment with the power of your well chosen dreams. One day, you’ll look back in astonishment at the impossible doors you’ve opened, how much you have accomplished and how many lives you have touched along the way.  

“Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attainted through self gratification but to a fidelity to a worthy purpose.”

 Helen Keller

* I hope you've enjoyed this essay. I very much thrive on connecting with readers through comments and messages, so please let me know what you think.  Comment, vote and above all, please keep reading! It gives me hope and keeps me writing! :)