08 - Starbucks Staredown

My eyes widened as they landed on the girl, yet hers narrowed when she caught sight of me. She stopped twirling the blade in her hand and gripped it so tightly that her knuckles turned white. She mouthed 'what the hell' and furiously stomped over, her clunky combat boots pounding the floor with every step she took.

"You idiot. You seriously went to find her? Have you freaking lost whatever little sense you had before?" she yelled, attracting the attention of all the customers in the small coffee shop.

"How does she know me?" I whispered to Seth.

"Mara, calm down," Seth said staring her down.

"I can't believe you!" Fire blazed in her eyes and she bared her teeth menacingly. "How the hell did you even find her?"

Seth shrugged casually. "I found her school."

"You enrolled in her school?" She stared at him in disbelief. She huffed and turned to the other two guys sitting silently at the table, to see if they were having the same reaction as her. "What the hell for?"

"I want a diploma and options in case this dream crashing gig falls short. Can't exactly put this on a resume—"

"Seth!"

I looked between the two of them, utterly confused. I really didn't understand where Mara's hostility was coming from. This was the first time I've ever met her, so why did she hate me so much? But then again, why did I feel overcome with terror the moment I laid eyes on her?

"Okay, okay. Calm down. I was investigating her because we didn't know what she was. And obviously she's not a demon. I mean, what kind of demon voluntarily signs up for public high school? Even they aren't so masochistic."

I stared at Seth. Did he say demon?

I must've heard wrong.

"You should've told us. We should've worked on a plan – as a team," said the dark skinned guy. He had a deep, gravelly voice that I thought would've been perfect for a radio show.

"And what? Give Mara the opportune moment to slit her throat on our way to gym class?" Seth asked, sarcastically. "I don't think so."

"Funny you should say that since I'm barely holding back from slitting your throat."

They argued a little while longer before I interrupted them. "What the hell is going on?" I asked. My boldness surprised not only me but everyone else as well.

The blonde guy, still sitting at the table, raised both his hands diplomatically. "How about we all calm down and take a seat? Let's talk about this rationally. First off, I'm Elijah." He smiled at me warmly, revealing a dimple in his left cheek. The steam from his coffee cup casted a fog onto the lenses of his glasses.

"I'm AJ."

Seth nudged me with his shoulder. "We know he's very muscular. Stop checking him out."

"I wasn't," I said, but I totally was. AJ was seriously ripped. His muscles bulged with every small movement. I bet he could probably bench me if he wanted to.

"Am I the only one who is unnerved by the fact that we're casually talking to the girl who possesses demonic powers?" Mara hissed.

"Is she talking about me? Does she think I'm a demon?" I asked Seth, laughing out loud. I stopped when no one else laughed. "Wait, are you guys serious?"

Seth scratched his hair awkwardly and said, "That's kind of what I want to talk to you about. Rory doesn't remember anything."

"At all?" Elijah asked, brows furrowing. "How is that possible?"