the hurtful truth

one

Once I had it all—or so I thought. I had my riches, my huge flat, my pretty blue eyes. . . .

Thinking about the perfection of it, burning under something I can't recognise, I realise I screwed everything up in many ways—in every possible way. But I'm okay with that, because he didn't cause this. I did.

❁ ❁ ❁

A sharp pang of pain slashed her temple as a stream of golden light shone all over Alexis. Whoever opened the curtain is going to pay, Alexis thought as she did her best to stand up. Then she realised where she was. Half her body rested on the floor while one of her legs hovered the bed, the other just folded awkwardly in a strange position. Her back also hurt, and her eyes wouldn't open.

"Why, Alex?" She heard a sweet voice as a pair of strong arms raised her and placed her on her bed.

"Shut up and let me sleep, Xander," was all she could manage to murmur, as she tangled on her unmade bed.

"It's Niall, Hon," her best friend replied, sitting next to her. "Yesterday was a tough night, wasn't it?" Alex could hear him ask as he slid his fingers through the mess that was her hair.

With trouble, she opened her eyes, trying to avoid the strong sun trespassing the crystal of her windows. "How'd you guess?"

"Your hair is a complete mess, you're on yesterday's clothes, your breath reeks, and it's two P.M. and you were still completely asleep. Not to mention that you seemed to be contorting right there and that there are a couple empty bottles of Jack Daniel's on the floor," he explained patiently.

Alexis took a sit as she said, "It was a rhetorical question." After laying her head on his shoulder, a huge yawn crossed her lips. "So tell me, why are you here?"

Placing an Aspirin and a glass of water on my hands, he answered: "Today's the premiere party of the next season of your show, remember? Your brother asked me to come and see how you were doing. Thank God I did." Alexis's arms slipped around his waist; she sighed before a nostalgic memory reminded her about her late condition. "You miss him, don't you?"

❁ ❁ ❁

Her bloodshot eyes had completely disappeared by the time they were at the limousine. The professional way her makeup was spread erased the bags under her eyes; her hair falling like a cascade of midnight water finally looked decent. Clara made a good job, she thought, as the driver announced they were closer to their destination. Alexis took a big breath and thought of how she was going to manage all questions.

Like reading her mind, Niall commented, "Don't worry. I won't let them ask much." A cheeky smile crossed his face; he seemed to be proud to be her companion that night. But, actually, she couldn't be more thankful towards her blond friend.

A couple of minutes before the car could park, they watched how Alexander and Tiffany walked down the red carpet, arms intertwined. There was a shiny ring on Tiffany's hand. Secretly, Alexis really envied her and everything she had. Tiffany was so happy, just as she used to be. But it was just the past. The past was past.