Watery Trouble

This is a short story that I wrote for my English assessment (which was a long time ago) about a Childhood Mishap. WHICH kinda did happen but it tweaked it a little to make it more exciting :D

Although this little 'incident' made my family wary of the waters whenever I'M in it. It didn't put me off going swimming and to the beach :P

ENJOY

* * *

The season-less, warm breeze swept over the horizon as my uncle drove the car with a fast but steady speed. Inside the black, sleek Jaguar car of his the interior leather was unbearably, uncomfortable as it heated up under the cloudless sky that exposed the sun too much - it’s too hot. I fanned myself the best I can with one hand but then I had a better idea. With another hand I reached forward to the dashboard and turned the dial for the air-con to ‘cold’, flicked the ‘A/C’ button to ‘on’ and turned the speed of the fan from two to four. The air instantly blasted through the gaps; the thin layer of sweat I had on my skin sent shivers down my entire body, tingling my nerves. For the past couple of weeks the days passed by without a single drop of rain or cold zephyr from the north only air from the equator bring no relief to this drought at all. As my uncle said nothing to protest the cold I returned to my seat but then realized that I was still within the sun’s line of sight, I moaned as I moved away from the window lazily and leaned towards the shade like a vampire seeking shelter from the hated daylight. Under the shade I purred, I was a content, pampered little kitten enjoying the shadow fully as if it was a gelid blanket in a scorching room slipping into dreams of ice cream and Arctic oceans.

My eyelids slowly fluttered open automatically the moment the car came to a steady halt. The scent of salty tang filled the car as my uncle opened the door and stepped out, this instantly gave me waves of images of dolphins jumping out of the surface of the cerulean blue sea, seahorses dancing secretly in the corals, crabs scattering away from the shores as kids approached. That image made me chuckled unconsciously. “Come on, we are here…” my uncle’s voice broke through the haziness and woke me up fully. As I fought through the grogginess I reached up and open the door, the car stilled as he pulled the keys out of the ignition and slid them into his pocket. I slipped out of the car half ecstatic and half still with my head in the clouds. As I stood up I felt the blood rush to my legs making me feel weak but I dug my sandals into the sand to find some sort of support before I topple over. The top of the sand was scorching hot for a moment but underneath the sand dune it was just perfect, not to hot or not to cold.

“Can I go explore?” I called over to my uncle, for minutes I didn’t hear I reply so I looked over the car and I found that he had already walked off and was on his phone with his business tone. I rolled my eye in annoyance and began to walk towards the incoming tides. With each step I took I was filled with a sense of excitement that seem to quiver within me, that unshakable feeling sent adrenaline pumping throughout the veins of my body. I turned back to check if my uncle was still somehow paying attention to me but it seemed like he had enter ‘work mode’ and already had is back turned to me. I sighed with disappointment “Talk about responsibility…” I stood there for a few more moments, hoping that he’ll remember what he was here for but soon I gave up on the notion, taking off my t-shirt I folded it neatly as possible and unbuckled my sandals before placing it where it was away from the sea’s reach. Rising an eyebrow I noticed that there was quite a lot of people out on the beach today, especially couples. I gagged at the lovey-dovey atmosphere as I tread quickly towards the sea to escape the scene before me, hey? Who wouldn’t be? Especially for a seven and a half year old kid like me.

The moment the sea surrounded my knees I dived in headfirst and merged myself with the liquid sapphire. The sea caressed against my every movement as I pushed against the current that flowed around me. I was careful with my breathing counting each bubble that escapes my mouth from my lungs, but the sight before me was amazing. I could see corals of different shapes and odd colors that seemed to mingle together perfectly without making things seem out of place; I could see clownfish zipping in and out of one of the corals, there was a shoal of fishes just up ahead they were moving in sync.

The entire view in front of me was magnificent; suddenly a sharp pain hit my throat. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ear as I started to panic, it quicken and it terrified me for a moment but then I remembered what my cousin once told me. Swiftly I started to swim upwards towards the sunlight, using it as a rope that leads the way out of the labyrinth. As I immerged from the sea I was greeted by air, my lungs devoured it greedily and hungrily as my entire body was deprived of oxygen within my moments of wonders.

However that moment of relief lasted mere seconds, the warmth from the sun suddenly disappeared sending a rapid message to my brain. My head snapped to look up but it was too late. ‘BOOM’ and down went my head, the huge wave slammed into me forcing me back down to the depths of the waters; the wave was a huge hand that grabbed the hairs on my head as leverage and pushed me down. I only had moments to react. I tried to push myself upwards towards the sky but the tide just tossed me around like a rag doll, as if I was the killer whales dinner and they are tendering my meat. Fear and terror began to sink in as I thought the inevitable.

I was going to drown.

The current that was gentle minutes ago in caresses turned to ravage my body and burn my throat and lungs. My mind was in turmoil until I felt someone or something grabbing my hands, I was scared to open my eyes but something urged me to, my eyes shot open terrified and alarmed. I saw a blurry figure before me. My mind couldn’t comprehend what or whom it was yet my heartbeat began to calm down, my body started to relax and my throat didn’t seem to burn anymore; I tilted my head slightly in confusion, wondering. Although it was blurry I could tell that it was humanoid in shape, its mouth seem to mouth the words ‘breath’ and ‘calm’. I opened my mouth to say thanks when out of the blue something wrapped around my waist and hoisted me upwards, snatching me away from its’ protection. I wriggled in protest as I felt the surge feeling lost and being frighten. The sun greeted my eyes as I coughed and choked out the sea water that I've swallowed, whoever was the one to pull me out swung me over their shoulder and carried me back to the shores like a caveman hauling in its prize. “Put… me down!” I spluttered in between the waters that spewed out from my lungs.

“You.” He said. I froze at the voice as it was filled with anger and rage. I stopped breathing at that point and became a statue. “Are lucky to still be alive after that wave…”

His voice turned soft and gentle with just barely registered in my mind, my visions began to become unfocused. Before I slipped into the darkness I saw my uncle running towards me with the look of worry and hysteria painted on his face, I mumbled something to the supposedly ‘life guard’ but didn’t managed to hear what he said in return…