Parentless

"I'm sure you'll like it here." Maggie grinned. I hated the way she tried to see the best in every situation; I could see why she does it, but in my opinion it just sets you up for a fall. Besides I couldn't see a good point about this situation. Once again I was being dumped at the orphanage, but for once it isn't because the foster parents hated me. I'd actually got along with these ones, until they decided to move to Spain. Since they'd only had me a month social services decided I couldn't go with them.

"I'm sure I will." I said with heavy sarcasm.

"Try to be positive Charlotte, please." She had to be kidding herself if she honestly thought I could be positive about this, after all it was my seventh home.

"Yeah, yeah." I said glumly. I opened the wooden doors and walk into the warm reception. I was told it was a small orphanage, only eleven children. Twelve now, I think. Inside I told a small woman with red hair I was the new girl and she greets me warmly.

"All of the kids are out of a trip to the beach so I'll just show you to your room, shall I?" I nod in response; she was one of these people who don't need a lot of response; she'd happily talk all night. "You're sharing a room with Rebecca; she's fourteen, how old are you?"

"I'm fourteen too." I said.

"That's good; she'll appreciate another girl her age." The woman smiled and pauses outside a door.

"Does that mean most kids here are younger than me?" I thought about putting on a smile but dismiss the idea when I realise she's already talking again.

"Yes, well there is a girl who is seventeen, but she is leaving next month, her names Avery; she keeps to herself. There are two boys, older than you fifteen and sixteen; they're brothers, Tyler and Brandon. All the rest are younger than you." I couldn't help but see the downside to this; it means a lot of headaches. "You'll get to know everyone when they get back, they all love new kids." She pauses opening her mouth like she is figuring out if she should say something. "I hope you don't mind me asking but how did you end up in the care system?" I knew they would ask and I was used to telling people now so I didn't hesitate.

"My mum was a prostitute; she probably didn't even know who my dad was. She obviously didn't want me because the day I was born I was found in the toilets in a fast food place. They looked for her for over two years until they found out she had died of a drug over dose. So really I'm lucky to be here." I ended with a sarcastic tone so she doesn't take me seriously and smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She bites her lip and looks down the hall as if she was praying for someone to rescue her from this awkward situation. She turned to look at me and smiled. "Any way this is your new room, yours is the bed on the left. I'm Shelby, so if you need anything don't be afraid to call. The other kids will be back soon and I'm sure Rebecca will show you around." Shelby gave me one last winning smile and struts off down the corridor.

My room was an average size living room with two beds each pushed against the wall. I walked over to my bed, the one on the left wall, and threw my bag onto it. I only had one rug sack and a suitcase; I'd never stayed anywhere long enough to have my own possessions. I turned around and examined the room. The walls were a lilac colour with a couple posters on the right side, some boy bands. On both sides of the room there was one dressing table with two drawers and one wardrobe with drawers inside. It wasn't a fancy room, but it was better than most I'd stayed in.

While I waited for my new house mates to come home I started unpacking my things. It didn't take long; I was done in twenty minutes. I noticed Rebecca has a lot of things on top of her dressing table; perfumes, deodorants, straighteners, curling tongs, hairdryer and make-up. Whereas I had a hairdryer and some deodorant.