Chapter 32: Ice Dork

I trudged down the hallway, my feet dragging against the indigo carpet. It was currently Friday afternoon, the 8th of December. My plan was to march down to Drake’s room, call over Rachel, and have a nice good conversation with them.

The only problem was that I had no idea what to say.

I mean, how do you explain that a.) I found my mother—who was dead a few weeks ago—alive b.) I have superhuman powers and am part of an ancient powerful species and c.) I like the person who makes my life hell. 

Well, personally I think option c wouldn’t go well with Drake, but then again, neither will any of those options.

So I spent the whole week trying to sum up the courage to speak to both of them. Sure, I could have a heart-to-heart conversation with Blaze but that was because he practically knew every aspect of my life. Now speaking to two people way out of the loop wasn’t exactly my pot of tea.

But, unlike my original plan, I had found myself very reluctant to go to Drake’s room. So instead, I called Rachel to tell her to make Drake meet you in her room. Did she listen to me the first time I asked?

Nope, she hung up.

Fortunately, I was able to persuade her into doing what I asked.

I finally made it to her dorm. Apparently Drake was already there thanks to the text I received from her only five minutes ago.

“Damn,” I muttered under my breath. 

She sent me another text: Hurry or we leave.

I could feel her glare from the words.

Sighing, I shuffled my feet a bit. It was either get it over with, or stand out here for five more minutes hyperventilating.

I grumbled under my breath. It was now or never, and I couldn’t hold it off any longer.

*knock knock*

For a second I thought there was no one on the other side of the door due to the intense silence around me. Suddenly, the door flew open and I almost jumped. 

There, on the other side of the door stood Rachel at her tall height and rigid glare; however, the hatred lost its heat as she gave me a tight smile.

“Raven, come on in!” she exclaimed, a bit too happily.

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes, I walked into the room, staring longingly at the now empty hallway. Just as the door closed behind me, I turned around to find Drake staring at the floor intensely and Rachel staring at me expectantly. 

Who knew Rachel could be so menacing?

Shuddering, I mumbled a quick hello and inspected the room. Two single beds, one of which was occupied with Drake on the edge of it, his hands tightening on the mattress every now and then. The walls were bare, no sign of decorum.

What I found interesting though was right beside Rachel’s bed, there was a huge seashell. 

“Nice room,” I commented lightly, trying to keep my eyes from them.

“Spit it out Raven,” Rachel snapped, crossing her arms.

Looking back at her, I realized she looked exactly like me when I didn’t want to play games.

Was I really that stiff?

“Fine,” I snapped back. Taking a deep breath, I said, “I’m sorry you guys. I’ve been in such a bad mood and while I know that is no excuse--,”

“You’re right,” Drake added, glancing up at me.

To my surprise, he wasn’t glaring or even remotely angry. Instead, he looked… disappointed. Feeling even worse than before, I lowered my eyes.