60. Christmas 1986

Christmas 1986

December 24, 1986

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Peoples,

In the Mandir they’ve decorated the floor with white designs. In the front right before the altar is printed, “Xmas 1986 – greetings from Heaven High to bring good tidings of great Joy.” Imagine that – Swami ordering it to be put, ‘Greetings from heaven high’! I guess He wishes all to know that He, the Lord of the Universe, is personally greeting and Blessings all, from His abode on the Earth!

And it is like a heaven here. I am so happy. I can see how one would forget about moksha in the pleasures of heaven! I feel like not only Swami is walking, floating above the air, but that we also are floating about, with wings and playing harps, always praising His name! The joy of Heaven with the King of kings in residence! :-)

Swami is as kind and loving and compassionate as usual. Especially nice is His joking attitude, His Krishna-grins. How pleased He looks, having His fun! He’s granting love and joy to all who see Him, watching faces break into smiles or tears of sorrow, as the case may be!

He’s been extremely kind to me, giving front rows and saying, “Chaala santoshan (“Very happy” in Telugu) near where I sit. He’s been giving Darshan and granting interviews as usual.

Many foreigners were chucked out of their rooms and into the sheds (as usual during this time of year). I looked inside – how terrible they are, packed like 60th Birthday! I think Swami had compassion on me because of the all the shed-tapas I’ve done in my reign here. For, Accommodation office is allowing us to keep the room for Xmas - shocking!! Plus, I am in the verandah room alone (the small entry room), and anytime I can close the door if I want to be alone.

Three people (out of four) in my room speak Hindi. So they’ve been teaching me and I’ve been learning much more Hindi.

Even Swami’s sisters are still involved in worldly duties! His eldest sister Venkamma was in Anantapur for two weeks, helping her recently married granddaughter Neeraja, to get settled. Imagine living with Sis and her new husband, Mom, helping them to settle!

Christmas was very sacred and special! In the early morning was the singing of hymns with lit candles (a tradition here). Then Swami gave dawn Darshan from the top verandah! It was the first time I ever saw Him coming out of the large silver doors, onto the small Darshan-balcony. He was smiling and swaying, and looked so pleased! Somehow He sprinkled us with energy and power also - I felt the whole place was charged.

In the morning, He gave Darshan (smiling and taking many a decorated Christmas card!) Then His boys set up and played a program of Westernized Xmas hymns (pop-style!). It was great! After, there were bhajans as usual (but one hour earlier). Swami wandered around throughout. When bhajans were going on, He directed the distribution of laddus.

In the evening, we were waiting outside the Poornachandra. Someone asked me to ask the main Mandir volunteers, where the foreigners should sit (we get front places on XMas). I asked them and they immediately put me charge of all foreigners’ lines! So, I spent the next three hours directing, sending, explaining, carrying buckets of water (to thirsty Poornachandra-sitters) and running all around, catching and re-directing confused souls! I must say that it was a welcome change of my usual waiting of five hours on cement ground! :-) And I got a chance to prove my obedience and good behavior to the sacred goddesses, the special ashram Mandir volunteers, whom I like so much.

At the end, I got a place in front (along the far wall though), beside all the ashram permanent volunteers. I felt sitting beside them was like sitting beside the decorated, lit Xmas tree (the sacred vibrations). As for the program, first, there was a talk by one foreigner in the organization, then Sai gave His discourse.

After the discourse, the choir sang a few Xmas hymns (I had decided not to participate this year). Then the children sang on the stage, then ole’ trumpeter Maynard Fergusson came with the college boys, and they did a rousing, rip-roaring jazz/rock Xmas carol concert – with Swami sitting in a chair right on the stage! It was 100% American, this concert! I couldn’t believe my ears! The volunteers were laughing and pointing, not believing it either! When Maynard comes, there the party is! After, Sai had pictures taken with the band and children.

On 28th, 29th & 30th there was a conference for EHV teachers. On 28th we had evening program in the Poornachandra. There were two talks then Sai’s discourse. I also volunteered on this day, but was placed as "barriers" in the foreigner section.

Both of Swami’s sisters were sick on Xmas day! It was the first time I remember that either one of them missed Swami’s discourse.

Well, all is fine – all is well. I will end my letter here, on the 29th December evening, so next letter I will write about the Valedictory day of the conference – it just happens to be on this body’s 21st Birthday. I think Swami will give a discourse. A discourse on my birthday – hooray!

Hope all of you are happy, healthy, etc.

Love,

Indian Child