34. A brief moment

34. A brief moment

Marc
"So she's okay?"
"Yes sir."
"Good." She must still be pissed at me because she didn't immediately come here after getting released from the hospital. "What is she doing now?"
"Working sir."
"Working?"
"Mrs. Paxton is at the company. The news of your detainment has the media going crazy. I think Mrs. Paxton is trying to get a handle on the situation." It does make sense she would choose work just to avoid dealing with me, especially in her current mood if it were anything like last night. "I see." It's good I didn't have to worry about the company at a time like this. A day had already passed and I was still here.

"Sir I think it would be best if you let us represent you so that you can get out of here sooner. We're not even sure Mr. Accosi and Mr. Birke is coming." He did have a point. "We can wait until the reporters leave. They'll eventually start scattering after they realize you're not coming out."
"No, I have a better idea. How about I leave now? They'll only make up more stories if I don't go out. The longer we wait the more desperate they'll get and the more ridiculous their stories will be. Get me the supervisor."

"Since I was brought here without sufficient reason and held against my will, it's only fair that I give you and your department the chance to correct your error or get sued. I'm going to walk out of here of my own free will. I will however return once my lawyers arrive. Then and only then will I allow questioning."
"What guarantee do we have that you'll return? You could have already planned your escape from the country. You are after all a powerful man."
"Why would I leave the country when I've done nothing wrong? I was unjustly arrested by one of your officers on pure assumption. Now I'm giving you the chance to go about this the right way before shame is brought down on you and your whole department. It's a simple choice. Let me leave and return on my own for questioning, or keep me here and receive a lawsuit. It's up to you."

I thought he would have put up more of a fight, but he agreed rather easily. So with our arrangement in mind I walked out the front of the police station about 7 PM that evening. The first place I went was the company. Natalía was the first person I wanted to see. Nothing else mattered to me right now. We had a misunderstanding, quite a few of them really, and I needed to clear them up.

I watched her for a few minutes as she barked orders at the people around her. She was beautiful. To me she would always look beautiful no matter what. "Mr. Paxton." A few people greeted me. I brought my fingers to my lips signalling for them to be quiet. I wanted to watch her for a few more minutes.
"Sir, what a relief you're here."
"Thank you for taking care of Natalía, John. I trust everything is okay?"
"Yes sir."
"What did the doctors say?"
"From my understanding, everything seemed fine. If you want more detailed information you'll have to ask Mrs. Paxton."
"I see. Thank you for your hard work."

He disappeared and I continued to watch Natalía work. When I had had my fill of ogling her I silently made my way over. When I was a few feet away I spoke. "You're working hard I see." She spun around startled by my voice and my mere presence. "Marc!" She quickly controlled herself. I could tell she was fighting to control her temper. "I mean Mr. Paxton. How nice of you to join us." Mr. Paxton is it? Everyone at the company knew we were 'dating', so her act was pointless. "Isn't it?" I smiled. "You're smiling? How can you smile at a time like this?" She shouted, but then realized her mistake. "I mean I don't see what's particularly funny right now. You are being accused of murder."
"A misunderstanding on the justice department's part I assure you."
"A misunderstanding! You must have lost your damn mind," she grumbled.

I was enjoying her hot and cold personality. She was like two different people right now. "Natalía we need to talk."
"What's there to talk about? I have to fix this mess soon."
"Natalía."
"What Marc? Can't you see I'm working?"
"I said we need to talk." She looked at me with tears in her eyes. Was she about to cry? Oh shit! She was.