Blessed & Cursed (On Hold)

This is my new Fantasy/Adventure/Teen-fiction novel. I would like to thank _amnesia for the cover and CaNdYc0aT3D for editing this story. You both have been an immense help.

This chapter is dedicated to Kammi (I think that is her name) because her rant book 'The Bitch Is In'  has helped a lot in avoiding the clichés that are usually associated with the beginning of a chapter. Blessed & Cursed is my first venture out of the fan fiction genre and into the world of Teen-Fiction and I will not be ashamed to say, her books and rants are, to some extent, my mentor. So, thank you girl.

Enough with my ramble and on with the story. Please leave your feedbacks. :)

Jason’s P.O.V.

“Hello Jason.”

It all started with these two words. They sound pretty simple and innocent, right? But these two words were the turning point of my life. Whether that turn was for the better or worse is still a mystery to me. Sometimes, I think about all the good things that had happened ever since that night and I can’t help but smile. The good that came out of it was undeniably amazing.

But was the good enough to overshadow the bad?

My mind wandered back to my three loved ones who were fighting for their lives back in the OT. Their lives were left in the hands and at the capability of the Doctors. If she was here, she could have healed them in no time at all. But did I really want her here? It was because of her that they were here in the first place. If she had never left, none of this would have happened. If she had never come into it, my life would have been exactly as it was before.

I had the looks. I was not a very poor person either. My Mum was happily being engaged to the man she loved. I was well on my way to my dream college. My sister was getting over her abusive relationship. I had the most loyal and true friends.

Then suddenly it all changed. One night changed everything.

Involuntarily, I looked up at the sky. The usually sunny sky of New Delhi was now a dull grey. I could feel the dry air brushing against my skin as it rushed past me. The hospital parking lot was not the best place to go for a walk but it was definitely better than staying inside and sitting in the waiting room. I ignored the sirens of the ambulances and the cries of the patients. A woman ran past me with a small baby who was crying ceaselessly.

I just stood where I was with my hands tucked into the pockets of my jeans. Occasionally a car would honk at me, prompting me to get out of the way. However, I was too dazed to do anything except stare back at the drivers with my dead eyes. A flash of lightening and a resounding thunder heralded the arrival of the untimely rain. The gentle drizzle turned into a full-fledged downpour in no time. I was soaked to my skin in a matter of few minutes. The thought of moving into shelter, however, did not even enter my brain.

“Jay!” I was shaken out my dazed state of mind when Caleb, my friend pulled me to the side. An ambulance that had probably been honking at me for a while now drove down the paved path I had been standing on.

 “Get a grip buddy,” Caleb said, looking me directly in the eyes. His piercing blue eyes stared into my brown ones. They reflected the same worry and fear that mine had but what was lacking in his eyes was the guilt displayed in mine.

As Caleb led me to the nearest sheltered place, I reflected upon this fact. Of course, his eyes did not have any guilt. He had done nothing to cause him to feel guilty. I was the culprit. I had made the mistake. I was the one who had dragged my friends and family into this mess. It was because me that we were here, in the hospital. It was because me that someone innocent was now fighting for their life in the Operation Theatre.

“Jason!” Caleb once again brought me back to the present. “Stay strong! We need you! They need you to stay strong!”

They...

They were so happy and strong before I created the mess. They would not need me to stay strong if I had minded my business myself. But no! I had to drag them into it! It was all my bloody fault! However, I tried to listen to what Caleb was saying. If I had dragged them into this mess, it was my responsibility to get them out of this trouble too.

“Go and sit in the car!” Caleb handed me the key to his car. “I’ll get something for you to eat.” With that, he left me standing beside the white car. It was in this very car that I first saw her. I tried to look up again but the pelting rain made it impossible to see anything. Sighing, I stared at the tinted black glass of the car. She was incapable of crying. Whenever she was sad, heavens would cry in her stead. Was she looking down on us from up there and was shedding tears on seeing our plight?

“Come back!” I slowly whispered, my face turned towards the heavens and eyes closed.

Did I really want her to come back?

If she would come back, all my troubles would go away. Her presence was essentially the solution to all my problems.

If she had never come, all my troubles would be non-existent. Her appearance was the beginning of all my problems.

Slowly, I unlocked the driver’s side of the car and slid in. Closing the door, I leaned back against the seat and stared out the windshield. The rain slapped against the windows.

This could not go on like this. I could not go on like this. Sitting and walking around like a zombie would help neither my loved ones nor me. This...This chaos had to stop. It all needed to stop. But it would not stop on its own! I needed to stop this. Thus far, we had chased them. We had followed their trail. We had picked up the clues and pieced them together. We had travelled across the globe, from America to India.

However, now the tables had to turn. Now they were supposed to follow my trail. They were the ones who would pick up the clues planted by us. They would come where I wanted, no needed, them to be. They had started it but I would be the one to finish this.

If my loved ones were to die, I would make sure that their culprits preceded them. The time for fighting was over. It was time for revenge!

From the corner of my eyes, I could see that the mirror was misted. Slowly, with shaking fingers, I cleaned the rear-view mirror. Immediately, I had to pull back. Just like the last time this had happened, a pair of extremely pale blue eyes stared at me through the mirrors.

This could not be happening!

She could not be back!

She said she was going away forever!

Against my better judgement, I turned back to look at the backseat. It was exactly like the first time I had seen her. She was in her pale, golden gown. Her blonde hair cascaded down her back like a golden waterfall. Those soft, pink lips smiled at me along with her happy blue eyes and she uttered the same two words she had said the first time I saw her.

“Hello Jason.”