Welcome to the Underground

• Dedicated to my Mum

~*~ For this chapter I've chosen Stop and stare by One Republic. Please enjoy the song, it means a lot to me. ~*~

Chapter 2
~*~

          I push the door open to exit the dorm, and step into the hallway. Other new survivors walk past me, just as confused with their new surroundings as I am. Following them, we all finally come to another large door in front of us. It opens with ease and we all crowd into the one room. It's massive. The ceiling is at least two stories high and the walls are dark, with a few flamed torches dotted around the room. The place is alive with conversation and light.

          "Our new survivors. Welcome." A man steps out of the shadows and faces us. He holds out his arms, welcoming us all. He looks like he's in his late thirties. He has a few grey hairs and hypnotising, dark blue eyes. I can see the slight creases in his forehead from where he's been scowling. The dark leather outfit is clinging to his strong build, and as I look closer I can see a rather distinctive tattoo on his right arm. The dark black circle surrounds a letter. I squint my eyes to see the tattoo closer but he turns away from me.

          "Welcome to the Underground. Here you will learn basic defence and attacks to keep you safe for when we return to the world above."

          A few more people have joined the group, which makes up about thirty of us. I think most of us came from the same little town but I can't be sure. When the pickup truck came to collect us, I don't remember seeing this many people alive.

          "I'm Derrick. I'm in charge of the many survivors we hold here. I will teach you how to defend yourselves and how to survive. We need as many of you as possible to cooperate with our system. There are many survivors out there and we need to help them. Without learning the basic defences, you don't stand a chance." He raises his chin higher in the air to seem more intimidating, but he doesn't scare me. "Our leaders will train you into soldiers. The training will be hard, tough, and many of you will fail. Those who don't possess the skills of a soldier will be assigned other duties, such as cooking, cleaning, and guarding the wall. Others will show exemplary skills, and those of you with the courage and bravery will venture out into the unknown, rescuing others."

          If people need help out there, then I will do what I can. I can't let what happened to me happen to any more innocent lives out there.

          Derrick talks about the Underground for another half an hour explaining the rules and regulations here. Most of them just repeat themselves over and over.

Rules of the Underground:

1. No survivors are to wander out of their allocated dormitory at any time on their own.

2. If over the age of 12 you must report for training every morning. Exceptions include: illness, injuries, etc.

3. Anyone who leaves the Underground without permission will be considered lost. We cannot be responsible for anyone on the outside.

4. Meals will be served in the Rep Hall. Rations are low and will be served twice a day.

5. After exactly ten weeks of training, you will be sent out to look for new survivors, accompanying our loyal soldiers.

          Ten weeks? That's too long!

          "People are depending on you. Do not let us down!" Derrick stands proud.

          How are we supposed to save more lives if we are cooped up in here for a whole ten weeks?

          "Defence starts in the morning. You will meet your leader in the training room." His voice echoes as he walks back into the shadows. Through the darkness I see a slight scar slithering up his face, under his right eye. It's silvery and shines in the moonlight. How odd.

          I look around at the other survivors. A man and a woman stand next to me. Their eyes are filled with love for each other. It makes me think back to what I have lost. My parents. My sister. My brother. My whole family. The disturbing scene plays back in my head. The way they were taken from me. The whole town screaming. Fires burning. Hell-raising. I have to stay strong. I can't break down –– I won't let myself.

          A girl walks next to me as I make my way down the tunnel. She looks about nineteen...my age. Her long brown hair is pulled back in a ponytail and she wears a sparkling nose stud. Her green eyes glisten in the flickering lights above us as she turns around to face me.

          "Kira." She nods.

          I return her nod. "Ella."

          She narrows her eyes at me.

          "You'll have to work on those muscles of yours, you know," she says, looking ahead at the tunnel, wearing a slightly amused expression. "They won't let a scrawny thing like you out there." She then nods at me again and walks off ahead.

~*~ Thank you so much for your support so far guys, I really appreciate it. Please vote and leave your thoughts if you liked this half of the chapter :D ! ~*~