16. Red Balloons and Nightmares

Chapter 16. Red Balloons and Nightmares

(Danielle)

Thanksgiving was over and I was really, really grateful that Aaron had come back for me. No one had ever done that for me and I was surprised it was Aaron.

Being there with him in my usually empty dorm, it made me feel less alone and more hopeful. Like finally I belonged somewhere, even if it was only in that dorm room. Like finally I had someone... but I didn't trust it, not fully. Because... I knew. And my brain kept warning me about it.

It was a constant buzz.

He made me feel like I was... Like...

I really didn't want to fall too deep in to it, because my brain was still buzzing --on red alert-- but I couldn't help it.

He made me feel all kinds of wonderful, the way I hadn't felt in so, so long.

Maybe that was what made me slowly, slowly slipping back in to an old habit. Easy but exciting habit.

Aaron McCarter.

Maybe Aaron was really, truly trying. And I don't know, it was getting harder to keep him at a distance after yesterday, after what he had done for me yesterday.

And the kiss, of course, it shifted my already upending world, but yes, we never talked about that kiss again.

It was as if Aaron had sensed my discomfort and was giving me a way out, like he knew that I didn't want to talk about it, or discuss it. So, I gladly took it.

Though it was a very nice kiss --more than nice, it was like universe expanding and exploding -- I still didn't want to mess my life with more unwanted problems. More Aaron. There was already enough if him everywhere. Everywhere.

I couldn't afford that. There were only five more months left for school to be over and I could not wait to get away from this place. This life. I had to get away, or I would simply get lost in the overwhelming feelings of abandonment and betrayal. I had to.

I am going to get away, I thought as I walked to my first class.

I had already applied to the Fashion Institute of Technology under early admissions and had also applied to Parsons School of Design.

Those two were like a paradise for people looking to make a name in the field of fashion and it had been my dream since I could remember. Daisy knew that dream, too and she promised she would come along with me, to New York. We had talked about renting a small room and living together. We had all these big plans and they all made total sense even when we were just fifteen. Staying together with Daisy had always made sense. She was my best friend. My sister.

Now Daisy was in NY and she didn't even know she was in NY. This must be what they called fate.

I sighed and stopped when I heard someone calling my name.

"Hey Danielle."

"Hey," I said as Kayla waved at me.

"Did you have any sample for us?" She asked, her voice enthusiastic and that was when I realized Marcus was also with her. He gave me a hesitant wave when I looked at him and I had this uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when he looked at me. Like... I didn't exactly know what that feeling was, but it was not a nice feeling.

"I am sorry, give me two more days." I said and Kayla shrugged.

"It is alright." She said and walked away and Marcus dutifully followed her. I didn't know what the deal with the two, but they looked like they were joined at the hips or something.