[37] Temporary Separation

Avery Holmes

  I tore down the hallway, trying to find out where Niall had run off to. For a boy that seemed to eat so much, he was fast.

  "Niall!" I called out to the empty space. It was clear that he wasn't here, but then where was he? I still couldn't believe that I had let Marcus touch and kiss me, and just thinking about that made me shudder. I wiped my mouth on my sleeve, storming down the hall.

  Should I be checking every door? I frowned and tried most of the doors, which were locked. There wasn't anyone else staying up here but us, since we rented out a whole floor. I went through all the doors, jiggling the handle in an attempt to open one.

  Finally, I succeeded. The big, wooden door swung open and inside revealed a big balcony, much bigger than the one in New York City. There was a grill and a hot tub, much smaller than the one on the rooftop.

  "Niall," I sighed, seeing him sitting down on the ground, close to the gate. He was sitting Indian style, hugging his knees and burying his face in them. "Niall, please... I didn't know..."

  "Just leave it." He spat. "Why does this always happen to me?"

  "You don't understand." I argued, my voice wavering. "You've got it all wrong, let me explain."

  I heard Niall throw his head back and laugh bitterly at me, making me feel terrible. I was so terrified that he would never forgive me. I was scared that we would be forced to leave, and Niall wouldn't be in my life anymore. What was life without Niall?

  "Funny," Niall said. "That's what Tiff said when I caught her cheating. That she wanted to explain, that she was sorry, all that load of crap." His words stung worse than a thousand bee stings.

  "But I'm not her, Niall! That's the thing, I'm not her!" I practically shouted.

  "How can you say that?" He said, standing up, getting red with anger. "How can you say that when you went and did exactly what she did? And you know what's worse? You know! I've been through this before and you still hurt me!"

  Tears were streaming down my face, and I wiped them away quickly, not wanting to show weakness.

  "Will you let me explain?" I asked, sounding absolutely pathetic as my shoulders shook, my nose running like a four year old's. Niall brushed his fingers through his hair and didn't look at me. I could tell that he was crying by how watery his eyes looked.

  "No." He finally decided. "No, I think it's best if one of us leaves." My jaw dropped- was he really going to do this?

  "O-okay." I said, my legs wobbling, threatening to let me fall at any moment.

  "I'll stay in the bus for now." He decided. I couldn't believe that, after he thought I cheated on him, he was still willing to let me have the room. I shook my head quickly.

  "No, I'm going to take the bus. I'll have Oliver stay with Aimee and I." I decided firmly. His eyes shot up when he heard Aimee's name, the name of a girl he called his own. 

  "I want to keep her with me." He argued.

  "She's legally mine." I said. "And she'll stay with me, I'm not changing my mind." Tears were falling off my chin at this point and I stood there like a blubbering mess in front of him, and yet he showed no emotion.