"I was so horrible to him,' I sob. 'He only tried to help him but I used the things he did to me, against him."

"It's alright,' she says, 'he wouldn't have thought bad of you." 

There's a long pause before she continues. 

"He was such a bad boy,' she gently chuckles, 'but he was such a good one." She chuckles again, this time at her confusing statement. He was a bad but good boy. It somewhat made sense. 

"He liked to joke," I say. 

"He was innocent," she replies. 

That, I agree. Then I think how just falling into the water wasn't so bad. I complained over something so small. He only got a little water on me, and I was so upset about that? The only thing I could really be upset about is Jack. Now he'd be sent to jail. 

"It was so sudden," I say. 

Martha only nods. 

"That Jack will be taken care off," she says harshly. 

Then she looks at me. 

"Go back and lay down. We'll only be waiting."

I nod softly and go back to the bed. I lay back down. I'm still exhausted. Hopefully some extra sleep will get rid of this headache. . . . 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

When I wake up, it's rather dark outside. Everyone around me is alsleep. They could have woken up and gone back to sleep as well. Martha is no where in sight. Though, then I notice a letter on the beside table. 

Girls, 
I have been asked to go down with Mr. Armstrong.
Please wait in the cabin. I have left some food for you.
Everything will be fine.
Martha.  

I look over to a basket of light snacks. I a packet of biscuits, and stuff one in my mouth, before going into the bathroom and taking a long drink from the sink. My head has becone a little better. 

Soon, everyone is awake, and we're eating and drinking. Brittney and her group are in the corner, while Morgan is on one bed and Addie and I on another. 

"It's my second day, and this happens," she says. 

I feel really sorry for her. She must think this place is really bad. 

"That doesn't happen everyday,' I reply quickly. 'It's just the time you come at."

"I only spoke to him once. He was nice."

I only nod.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

It's six pm by the time Martha comes back. She's running up to the door. It bursts open with a bang. More tears have been streaming down her face. I stand up, wondering what else has happened. My heart is pounding as I wait for an answer. 

"Josh. . . ' she stutters. . .he's been taken in the ambulance. . 'he's, he's. . he's not dead."

I burst into tears, and so does Morgan. Martha has continued her crying. 

"But- but I saw him," I sob. 

Martha is holding me in her arms. 

"He was close to it,' she says. 'Just knocked out very bad. He's in a very critical condition though." 

My stomach twists into impossible knots. What if he was in a coma? Or. . brain damaged? I quickly peer at Martha. 

"He doesn't have brain damage?" I ask.