Chapter 13

MUST READ: OI! FOLKS! This chapter has been EDITED TO FIT FUTURE CHAPTERS. It is recomended that you read this once more before reading future ones; keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times. Have a safe ride! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes.

Hours.

Days.

Weeks.

All this and more passed without the two talking. Kyriakos, for once in his life, feared rejection. And the prince, for once in his life, felt heartache.

Alex sat inside. His eyes spied the dragon leaving the cave. Not once had he transformed back into his human form after the scenario. He didn't blame him. Being in his natural form for a change probably let him release some stress.

But, Alex? His eyes still sought out the dragon whenever he walked into a room. He followed him, most literally, but was too scared to talk.

Did he really know the dragon? No, he didn't. He knew some things, but not everything. And some part of him WANTED to know everything, and that part of him was the one that was screaming right now.

Hasasha came up beside him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder. He placed his hand atop hers and sighed deeply.

“You're in love,” She smiled. “I know that sigh.”

He opened his mouth to argue, but then...then it dawned on him. His eyes flickered to the floor.

“I thought so,” she looked at him with nothing but care.

“What is this feeling?” His hand went to his chest involuntarily. “Why does it hurt so much?”

She looked away, dropping her hands to her lap. “I don't know why. All I know is that being loved... having your love returned...is the greatest feeling in the world. And sometimes, it hurts.”

“So then why love if it hurts?”

She shook her head. “I don't know, Alex. I guess it's the thrill. If you love that person, you'll risk everything for them, even if it's a little scary. The reward may be great, but it can also be devastating, too.”

He shook his head. If love was so bad, then he'd rather not have it.

He got up, Hasasha with him, and they both went down a corridor that led to his room. But not without hearing the echoing cheers first.

“What is that?” His eyes widened and he looked around. There was light coming from a cave cavern down the hall.

“You shouldn't go in there,” Came a deep voice from behind him, a deep and soothing tenor. A voice that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, made his skin heat, like wood bursting to embers in a fire. All the breath in his body refused to leave. The prince slowly let it out through his nose, trembling, turning to see that which his heart desired but could not have. Kyriakos stared down at him with some kind of internal war behind his eyes, but his face was as cold as the stone of a beatific statue.

Though Hasasha was weary of Kyriakos, she boldly grabbed the prince’s hand. “He is right.” She started slowly. “They are performing a ritual.”

A growl cut short from Kyriakos’ maw at the she-elf’s movement. His jaw clenched, eyes alight with challenge as he glowered down at her.

Clangs of metal clashing with metal alerted Alex to her lie. “A ritual? With swords? I don't think so,” He narrowed his eyes, surprised at how swift and steady his voice came, as if his knees weren’t weak and his stomach wasn’t all a ‘flutter. His eyes averted from Kyriakos and stared adamantly at the wall, obstinate in their attempt to stray away from the dragon’s imposing gaze.