Chapter 42

Alex's POV

To tell you the truth, I feel very guilty for making her worry. For making her as depressed as she is right now. I wanted to go into her house and comfort her on that fateful day. To make her not so lonely in this world of ours. But that's my job.

My job is done.

My job was done.

And honestly speaking, Willow is the only 'victim' who knows our real name. Or maybe that's only because I was friends with her since back in our childhood days, all the way back.

Ah, the good old times.

But now's not the time to be daydreaming. Now's the time to be focusing on the reality around me. To make sure that I won't get caught up in anything that is too severe that I can't get myself out of.

I watched her from around the corner.

They're allowing her to roam free already? I thought that wasn't until tomorrow or something. I sighed. Time is moving too fast, that I can't even keep up with it. All that I know is that she is allowed to roam the building for about an hour or so, and someone will bring her to the roof or something.

But they're only allowing her to explore one part of the building. After all, who in the right mind would be able to finish exploring a whole huge building in under an hour? Definitely not me.

And not only that, they are deliberately making her 'bump into' me along the way. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of this idea at all.

Willow shouldn't have to suffer more than she already has, not that I am a fan of that either. I watched her intently as she came nearer and nearer to where I'm standing as of right now, stopping regularly to inspect the paintings hung on the wall.

"Alexandra Rose," a pleasant female voice said into the microphone that connects to my earpiece, or in simpler terms, a communication device.

"I'm here," I replied, trying to sound as pleasant as possible.

"Position ready?"

I sighed, willing myself not to ignore it. Because I really, really badly wanted to. But I still did it anyway. I still ignored it. Hopefully I won't get the worst of it. If I'm lucky, she won't complain about this to anyone.

I went back to my thoughts.

I'm sorry Willow. I just had to spread those rumours about you the other day back in school. I knew that the accident was going to happen. I needed a way to keep you out of it. I don't want you to be involved. I don't want you to die, Willow, not then, not because of an accident.

Not because of your best friend.

[Flashback]

"Hey, hey Mandy! Wait up!" I exclaimed, running to catch up with the school's most popular.

"Hey 'lex!" she replied as soon as I caught up with her.

She knows me from Gym and English. Which she is terrible at. Well, for English anyway. So, I tutor her in it, since I am the top student in English. Not that I am bragging. My mum used to be an English lecturer at a local college. So, I'm pretty much obliged to be the best in English.

And since I tutor Mandy, she claims that she owes me a favour, which I refused to accept. Until now.

"Do you remember the favour you owe me?"