Stupid is as Stupid does

Kyle felt unbelievably pathetic. There he was, following Emily and Brent for the past hour around the Empire State Building like a complete loser. The attention that he was once receiving as admiration was now becoming full on awkward, supsicious stares. One lady even asked the security guard to talk to him, and he had to make up some random excuse about a little sister whom he miraculously found when the officer mentioned reporting it to the office. Thank God the random little girl didn't blabber the truth. He had to say, money did wonders. Now, he was standing behind a large metal pillar watching them sip coffee together, enviously.

xx

Brent studied Emily curiously and noticed how much she changed. She was admiring the skyline and was paying no attention to his obvious stares and he wondered when she let her guard down like this. Her once blonde hair went back to her natural color, her ice green eyes had melted into a calm green pool, and her once stoic face now contained noticeable emotions. (Granted, it was subtle being her.) She no longer had that guarded, cautious stance about her, and the icy aura she used to radiate without even trying could almost be mistaken for a warm glow. It had been two years and now she was no longer the partner he knew, but instead, dare he say, a girl. A incredibly attractive, unique girl. He was sure that if it weren't for the years of experience he had by her side as a gangster, he might've considered hitting on her. But he had too much respect for her; as a member, a partner, and as a sister.

"Is there something on my face?" She said wrily. Brent realized that she had noticed his staring and grinned easily.

"Just the usual blank expression and a funky pair of glasses," he joked.

Emily frowned as she pushed the glasses up her nose. "Shut up. It beats that stupid smirk you always have on your face," she retorted briskly.

"Touche," he pinched her nose playfully and she aimed for his shin which he dodged easily. He reached for her nose again which she ducked skillfully and aimed for his stomach. He hopped back and attempted to slid behind her only for her kick at his ankle causing him to trip. She was panting slightly but smirking at his defeat.

"You haven't lost your touch," he grinned. She gave him one of her rare smiles and pulled him off the floor.

"And you clearly still need a lot more practice," she stated as she tug her dress back to place. Brent chuckled before wincing at his next thought. There was no point in delaying it any further. He had to pursue the subject.

"Emily," he started gently. She was looking at him with that amused glint, thinking that he was going to make a clever remark back. "You know what you have to do. This has been going on for too long."

Emily's once easy going expression hardened into a dark mask. There was a hint of a scowl on her lips. "Don't mention it. You already know the answer. I'm not going back."

"But David," he tried.

Emily glared. "What about him?"

"He-He needs you. When you're there he's a lot calmer," Brent explained as he thought of his boss.

She snorted. "If he needed me, he wouldn't have broken his promise."

Brent stayed silent. He knew it wasn't going to be easy, especially with the way things ended two years ago. But still, that was where she belonged. David did something stupid, and she had every right to be mad... but the gang needed her. But it was too early, he decided. Instead of continuing what he had to say, he decided to change the topic.

"Damn it! I finished it already." Brent said as he tried to slurp the last bits of watered down bubble tea. Emily rolled her eyes but passed her cup to him. She may not like the topic of the conversation, but Brent was pretty much like her little brother and she'd do just about anything for him. "Have some of mine," she smiled wryly.