1: More than just baggage [dust]

When Mum announced that her freshly-divorced best friend, Cathy, was going to temporarily move in with us, a small part of me died inside

When Mum announced that her freshly-divorced best friend, Cathy, was going to temporarily move in with us, a small part of me died inside. It wasn't that I didn't like Cathy. She was one hell of a good cook and I've never met anyone who plays poker as well as her.

It was more to do with the fact that when my mother and Cathy got together, it was absolutely chaotic. I could only deal with them in small occurrences, so living under the same roof as them both was going to be hell.

But our new living arrangements did have a couple of new perks. Because although Mum was excited, she was also sympathetic, which granted me a lot more freedom. So before Cathy was due to arrive, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Dino's for pizza was my go-to plan.

Jackson and Sam were already at our usual table; at the back, by the window, where the ventilation system was at its highest glory. I slid into the booth and shrugged off my jacket, watching as my friends battled for room to put their textbooks. Pens and paper were scattered across the surface, grease staining the dog-eared corners of their assignments.

"Extra cheese?" I asked, not waiting for an answer before I picked up the last slice from the platter and took a bite.

"I was going to eat that." Jackson frowned.

"Georgina's shift ends at five," Sam said, looking up from his homework. "She's been asking for you since we got here."

Jackson let out a low whistle. "Damn, that girl's stunning."

I shrugged. I had recently gotten out of a long-term relationship and wasn't looking for anyone. My friends thought I was crazy; Georgina was beautiful, no doubt, but she lacked her own personal voice. We had been in the same classes over the years and I had noted that she was a smart student, but she would never argue against something she didn't believe in.

I didn't want a relationship where we couldn't have intellectual discussions and heated arguments, then kiss and agree to disagree. Besides, Jackson and Sam insisted I get a rebound, but I didn't believe in them; allowing a girl to be a distraction from another was cruel.

"If you don't make a move soon, one of us will."

"Be my guest," I answered, motioning behind them.

Georgina always worked on the weekends, so it was no surprise that she was on a shift that late Saturday afternoon. She walked over to our table with a big smile, blonde curls pulled into a ponytail. She paused and took out her notepad and pen, then looked up at the boys.

"Can I get you guys anything?" she asked, eyes drifting to my side of the table.

"A Cherry Coke would be great," I answered easily, returning her smile. "And you guys?"

I eyed my friends, daring them to make the move they so passionately threatened.

Sam raised an eyebrow at my challenge. I knew Sam appreciated Georgina's looks, but he never showed much interest. The dare was more focused towards Jackson, who had been admiring her since we were fourteen. He had never directly admitted it, but the signs were clear as day.