Chapter 16

“Rose Lane. An innocent girl who got brutally attacked and was quite literally, left for dead. After having a dispute, she left her house and wondered around. Not in a million years would she have ever imagined being a victim of rape. What happened to her was devastating and unexpected. She didn't, along with other victims who fell prey to her attacker, deserve to be raped. Her innocence was stripped away by an animal, a malicious human being sitting here in this courtroom today. I hope you see this and decide what's right.”

That was the opening statement from Maria Young, my lawyer. She sat down next to me and gave me a small smile. I nodded and shifted my gaze to the left. I couldn't take my eyes off the man sitting a few feet away from me. I just kept staring at him for I knew who he was.

Peter York raped me.

I looked behind me and saw Jinxx, Andy, Sammi, Ashley, CC and Jake sitting on the wooden benches, looking even more nervous than I was. Andy shot murderous looks to Peter York. His eyes were dark and his features showed fury. They all had disgusted looks on their faces as they followed Andy's gaze.

My attacker's lawyer had finished his opening statement and Maria stood up as the judge said something. I wasn't really listening, I felt sick. The room felt like it was getting smaller and smaller as my vision blurred.

“I'd like to call Peter York to the stand.” That name brought me back to reality as I watched him stand behind the podium. He raised his hand and placed it on the Bible.

“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you, God?” The bailiff spoke.

“I swear.” His voice was just how I remembered it – disgusting.

He took a seat and my heart began to thump faster. Maria approached him, her face grim.

“Where were you on the fifth of April between ten and twelve PM?” She asked.

“At home.”

“Wrong answer. We have footage of you entering a newsagent and exiting with a bottle of vodka.” She spoke, glaring at him.

“I might have popped out for a drink, I don't remember.” He answered.

“How convenient. Did you rape Rose Lane?”

“Objection!” His lawyer shouted.

“Overruled.” The judge spoke, urging Peter to answer the question.

“Of course not! She's lying; I've never seen her before!” He exclaimed. I scoffed; I'd heard his voice enough to know that it was him that night.

“It was dark at that time, Mr York.” Maria told him.

“So? I don't know her.” He replied through gritted teeth.

“So you keep saying. Sir, do you know who Violet Close is?”

“No, I don't.” He said tersely.

“Harriet Montgomery? Jennifer Owens?” She interrogated.

“No, I don't know who any of them are.” He insisted.

“Why was your DNA found on their persons?”

“Objection! My client couldn't possibly answer this unfair question! He is not a scientific expert.” Peter York's lawyer shouted.

“Mr Valentine, the question does not require scientific knowledge. I'll allow it.” The judge ruled. “Answer the question, Mr York.”

“I don't know! You're obviously wrong.” He replied.